Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 03:25 AM   #1

Question about the red LED light and zoom ring

I just purchased a Pentax K-S1 3 weeks ago and it's been working like a dream. However, after I took a video on a vintage train by putting the lens up against the window, the red LED light disappared and the zoom ring automatically set itself to blurry after I turned it to clear. Both of these things happened after I set myself and the camera up to take a picture. A friend of mine told me to reset the camera, which I did to mild improvement and to also reset the lens, which I did not do. He said it could also be that the battery isn't fully charged, which I will try soon. Is there anything wrong? Should I wait to see if it bounces back as it's relately new? What do I do?

12-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not entirely certain what you describe isn't normal. The "zoom ring" should not change focus - was it an issue with auto focus getting confused? Could you switch to manual focus? The red light isn't clear to me since I own a k50 and a k3 but not the ks1.
12-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This is your first post. Welcome to PF and we'll probably be able to solve your problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Quiet Photograph Quote
putting the lens up against the window
I'm not sure what happened in your case, but if you push the lens against something it can move the front of the lens and cause the focus to change.

QuoteQuote:
the red LED light disappared
Do you mean the red light that shows in the viewfinder to show the focus point after you half-press the shutter? If that light does not show it could mean the camera autofocus hasn't succeeded. Check that the AF/MF switch on your camera and/or lens is set to AF.

QuoteQuote:
zoom ring automatically set itself to blurry after I turned it to clear
If you focus the camera on something then change the zoom amount you should refocus.
12-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Quiet Photograph Quote
the red LED light disappared
Do you mean the video "recording" red light? If so, it may simply be that you exceeded the time/size limit for video capture with your K-S1 (4 GB or 20 minutes, whichever comes first). When that happens, it stops recording and the red light goes out. If you want to restart and have it not attempt refocus, turn the AF mode to manual before recording.

Steve