Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Geez! The guy asked a simple question, must it turn into a mud wrestling event?
It is the internet, isn't it?

12-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #47
Forum Member

Original Poster
Want to thank all those who answered my question and stayed on subject and gave good advice out of their actual experiences and for Sandy's help on posting photos. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all. Thanks again
12-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #48
Veteran Member

The humble FA 35 f2 takes a lot of beating even by Limiteds.
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is the internet, isn't it?
You do have a point there... and someone on it is wrong, God forbid!

12-17-2015, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
20-40 not as good as "stack of primes"

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Norm, not meant to be argumentative, as my main focus in photography is "people" shots, so I am just a bit more aware (and less tolerant) of lens distortions than others.
I include here a photo of mine and another one (not mine so I need to remove it soon) to show what I mean. Most lens distortions as some suggested that it can be corrected during post processing (Silkypix, LR etc.) which I agree, although some are, but not always as in this example below (not sure if this one is even possible?).

As I said I am quite happy with my 20-40 (which I consider it as a stack of primes)... here is an example,

I own the 20-40mm lens. Just this week I did rigorous, tripod shots comparing this lens with my FA 31mm, and 3 Zeiss ZK lenses in this range.

While I would certainly agree that the 20-40mm lens is very good for it's price, it is not as good as my 31mm ltd or Zeiss ZK prime lenses. Color, contrast, and sharpness are are all slightly (but certainly noticeably) better with these primes.

Maybe the 20-40mm zoom is as good (or better) then some of the cheap, old, film era primes lenses. Maybe it's even as good as some of the DA lenses in it's range. But it clearly does not compare with the premium/expensive primes in it's range. I guess that you really do get what you pay for.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-17-2015 at 01:20 PM.
12-17-2015, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best primes to my knowledge are always better than the best zooms, now there's a statement I can live with. The problem for most of us is, we can't afford the best, and for what we can afford, we may as well buy zooms.

The problem is, you can't get a "best prime" to cover every focal length. So even if you're a prime guy, you probably need to have a couple of zooms.
My Pentax preferences in current primes would be the 3 amigos. That leaves an awful lot of ground uncovered. I like my DA 35, FA 50 , 40XS and 21ltd, but I don't get 3 amigo type images with them. There's primes and then there are primes.
12-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fenwoodian, post some photos you took in the comparison and I will compare your 20-40mm photos to others who have posted photos from their 20-40mm and then also post photos from the FA31mm that you shot when doing the comparison and I will compare them against the 20-40mm you took and the FA31mm against some photos others took with the FA31mm.

12-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I ask Fenwoodian to post some photos he did in his comparison so I could compare his photos against other photos on this forum for the 20-40mm and the FA 31mm. Frankly I was not convinced by his statement of rigorous test of the two lens mentioned. I waited and waited for him to fill my request and when he did not do so I did my own research on this forum and some friends of mine and their photos of both lenses and I do not come to the same conclusion that Fenwoodian came to. So much so did I not come to Fenwoodians conclusion that in my research of this matter for the last four days I ended up purchasing the Pentax HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR with a B+W circular polarized filter. It will be here around the 4th of January. Thank you all for your impute and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
12-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
Ok, I ask Fenwoodian to post some photos he did in his comparison so I could compare his photos against other photos on this forum for the 20-40mm and the FA 31mm. Frankly I was not convinced by his statement of rigorous test of the two lens mentioned. I waited and waited for him to fill my request and when he did not do so I did my own research on this forum and some friends of mine and their photos of both lenses and I do not come to the same conclusion that Fenwoodian came to. So much so did I not come to Fenwoodians conclusion that in my research of this matter for the last four days I ended up purchasing the Pentax HD DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR with a B+W circular polarized filter. It will be here around the 4th of January. Thank you all for your impute and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The best research is that which you do yourself and the best opinion is the one you form from that research. Enjoy your purchase and never look back.
12-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #55
osv
Veteran Member

since you couldn't see the difference, mhsp, no doubt you'll be happy with that 20-40.

however, for the record, and for more discriminating future purchasers, fenwoodian was correct, certain wide pentax primes would have given better pq than any pentax zoom... that's why camera companies make primes if zooms were better, there would be no market for primes.

more relevant to pentax ff... in his latest comparison test, tim devine put the k28/3.5 on his new 42mp a7rii, and compared it to some other legacy primes, and once again he liked pentax, but you can judge that for yourself: Legacy 28mm Shootout Redux (A7R II) - FM Forums

there is also a link in there to his previous tests, with input from others, including some fa31 photos... all with full-size unmolested photos, which is the only way to judge the quality of camera lenses.

looking at the old thread, i think that the fa31 is better than the k28, but the difference in focal lengths makes it difficult to pick a winner.
12-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #56
Forum Member

Original Poster
OSV, I didn't say I could not see the difference. I have taken 19, 670 photos in the last year and 10 months alone. I can tell the difference and it is not worth not buying the 20-40mm for my purposes. Also, I have taken photos over the last 40 years in film and digital and won awards. Just because I am new to Pentax digital cameras and lenses and asked for opinions does not mean I don't know what I am doing. I see that some on this forum don't think you OSV know what you are doing. I will enjoy my purchase and not look back just like dakight said, but one thing for sure, I won't be engaging you anymore in any conversation on this forum on anywhere else. Thanks for the encouragement dakight. I will be unsubscribing to this thread as of right now and once again thank all of you who were kind and well mannered and were willing to give advice and direction and did not make unsolicited comments like OSV, thanks again.
12-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp Quote
I will enjoy my purchase and not look back just like dakight said, but one thing for sure, I won't be engaging you anymore in any conversation on this forum on anywhere else. Thanks for the encouragement dakight. I will be unsubscribing to this thread as of right now and once again thank all of you who were kind and well mannered and were willing to give advice and direction and did not make unsolicited comments like OSV, thanks again.
Smart move, mhsp, and good luck. I find that the ignore feature makes the Forum much more enjoyable.