Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Which lens will fit the new FF Body?

Are there any modern lens that will fit the up coming full frame body. I am interested in the non screw drive type.
I know plenty of the film era lenses will work.

12-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING
12-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

All k-mount lenses will work up to the capability of the lens. But as you note the older ones will be screw-drive. DA lenses with SDM will also work but in crop mode of some sort.

For new lenses we already have the DFA 24-70 and the DFA 150-450. And the DFA 70-200 is due for release in February.

In addition the lens road map also indicates a DFA 15-30ish and a DFA 24-105ish.

And according to some sources there will be new prime lenses announced in 2016 but little information is available on those as yet.
12-15-2015, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Anyone who would take a pass on the 31, 43 and 77 because they are screw drive, doesn't know lenses, and doesn't know Pentax. One of the reasons Pentax does so well (1st) in reliability is the reliability of the screws drive lenses. You're selling yourself short here. Especially since with SR built into the body, everyone of those old lenses including manual ones benefit from Shake Reduction. If you're really serious about no screw drive that's cool, but, some sources have rated the Pentax 31 ltd. one of the best three lenses ever made, and the other two are a lot more money. You're only hurting yourself here.

12-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluemarkster Quote
All K-mount lenses.

But I think you are asking something else. Here are threads about that:
Thread 1: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html

Thread 2: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-curr...me-lenses.html

There may be more lenses now than there were when the OP was posted (like the new DFA zooms). Samyang and Sigma keep releasing new lenses. Tamron will probably release more K-mount lenses if the FF is popular. Maybe even Zeiss will return.

The ones with DC AF or SDM AF are not screw-drive. I understand screw drive is not for every occasion, but it is not bad. I think Sigma calls theirs HSM, and Tamron PZD (Piezo drive or something). Samyang lenses do not have screw-drive, as they have no AF at all. But they do allow Catch in focus aka focus trapping, which is almost similar.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-15-2015 at 08:02 AM.
12-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anyone who would take a pass on the 31, 43 and 77 because they are screw drive, doesn't know lenses, and doesn't know Pentax. One of the reasons Pentax does so well (1st) in reliability is the reliability of the screws drive lenses. You're selling yourself short here. Especially since with SR built into the body, everyone of those old lenses including manual ones benefit from Shake Reduction. If you're really serious about no screw drive that's cool, but, some sources have rated the Pentax 31 ltd. one of the best three lenses ever made, and the other two are a lot more money. You're only hurting yourself here.
As someone who shoots weddings, I understand the greatness of image quality from those lenses, but prefer to have non-screw drive focus as well.
12-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As I recall in one or another interviews Ricoh has said they will be evaluating the existing line-up of lens for FF usage. I would expect a compatibility chart at the very least as to which of the DA lens are acceptable for FF, FF with some cutoff/vignetting, and crop-only. It also sound like you won't be forced into crop mode regardless of the lens mounted.

No opinion on screw-drive other than that it works
12-15-2015, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
As someone who shoots weddings, I understand the greatness of image quality from those lenses, but prefer to have non-screw drive focus as well.
Ah weddings, the new 24-70 ƒ2.8 and the new DFA 70-200 ƒ2.8 and you're laughing, throw in the new FF as soon as possible, Did I just spend $7000? oops.

Pentax, not just a low cost alternative anymore.

12-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

^^^^ LOL. I think they have some more work to do, but there are enough pieces on the table to start to see what the puzzle will look like when it is finished.
12-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Did I just spend $7000?
Not "spend", but "invest".

There's still APS-C for people who spend.
12-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did I just spend $7000? oops.
It is fun spending other people's money isn't it?

To the OP: as others have said all K-mount lenses will fit on the 'K-1' there is some wish of an 'uncrippled' mount so all lenses work fully with the 'K-1'. Also all screw-drive and SDM/DC lenses should AF on it.
12-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
There's still APS-C for people who spend.
There's no need to draw distinctions like that here.
12-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There's no need to draw distinctions like that here.
I second that, since the distinction completely escapes me, are you saying the 10K I've probably invested in APS-c isn't an investment? We've already made some money with this "spending" over 5k, and we stand to make a lot more, once my photo book comes out, it it ever does.

So what exactly is the difference between this "spending" and someone else's investment.? I've spent more money, and am making money using strictly APS_c, so what's the deal.
12-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bluemarkster Quote
Are there any modern lens that will fit the up coming full frame body. I am interested in the non screw drive type.
I know plenty of the film era lenses will work.
Any lens that's labeled D FA, FA, or F will have autofocus and full frame image circle coverage. Of those, only D FA lenses will have silent AF (i.e. the D FA* 70-200mm, D FA 150-450mm, D FA 24-70mm).

Details in our lens database:
Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Lens Buying Addict

Heh. Sig Tag worthy.