Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

PENTAX AF360 FGZ II vs Metz 52 AF-1 ADVICE NEEDED

As I am relatively new in modern computerised photography world, I would appreciate an advice from experienced photographers in respect of an external flash for my K5iis.

Generally, I prefer taking pictures without flash. The main reason is because I do like to see more "natural" photos with maximum depth of field. However, it looks like, sometimes, indoors, I just increase my ISO too much and forget about high numbers of aperture. For this reason, I decided to buy a flash and start using it. I intend to take pictures indoors - 15-20sq meters rooms and also outdoors under certain conditions. In terms of price, I can afford a flash for about £150-170. After some research, I ended up looking at the following ones:

1. PENTAX AF360 FGZ II (I can this one from Japan for £150 including shipping etc)
2. METZ 52 AF-1 (I can get this one from Germany for £145 including shipping etc)

As I said, I am not experienced flash user, so I would appreciate your advice on which would be a better choice for me.

Thanks very much in advance for your input!

12-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the AF360 II but not the Metz 52 so I can only comment mostly on the AF360 on its usefulness, but not the Metz (only base on spec). I find the front LED on the AF360 II very useful as it provides not only the bounced light but also the frontal light (more natural look). I don't think that WR is that important if it is only for indoor use, but still it is rather nice to have just in case you use it outdoors; again, not sure about Metz 52 WR feature if any.

One thing to notice is the guide number for AF360 II is much lower than the Metz 52 if you need a more powerful flash (for example, in a large group photo situation). Although in which case, I would prefer to use a wireless flash setup or multiple flashes instead.
12-16-2015, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GTS 2015 Quote
As I am relatively new in modern computerised photography world, I would appreciate an advice from experienced photographers in respect of an external flash for my K5iis.

Generally, I prefer taking pictures without flash. The main reason is because I do like to see more "natural" photos with maximum depth of field. However, it looks like, sometimes, indoors, I just increase my ISO too much and forget about high numbers of aperture. For this reason, I decided to buy a flash and start using it. I intend to take pictures indoors - 15-20sq meters rooms and also outdoors under certain conditions. In terms of price, I can afford a flash for about £150-170. After some research, I ended up looking at the following ones:

1. PENTAX AF360 FGZ II (I can this one from Japan for £150 including shipping etc)
2. METZ 52 AF-1 (I can get this one from Germany for £145 including shipping etc)

As I said, I am not experienced flash user, so I would appreciate your advice on which would be a better choice for me.

Thanks very much in advance for your input!
I have the metz 48 af-1 and the AF540ii, and I much prefer the AF540ii. The interface is so much easier to use. I never remember how to change any settings on the metz with its weird 4 button interface. This one looks like it has a slightly better touch interface, but I prefer physical buttons and switches so I can change things faster rather than menu diving.

One cool thing about the LED on the 540/360ii is you can bounce the main flash off the ceiling but use the LED for slight fill and catchlight in the subjects eye.

12-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Guide number on the Metz is much higher than on the Pentax 119' vs. 170' . I would go for the Metz, because you never know when you are going to need that extra power. Keep in mind that the guide number for the Pentax(119') was taken at 85mm focal length, while the guide number for the Metz(170') was taken at 110mm so the difference might not be as wide as it seems. regardless I would still take the Metz. .

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-17-2015 at 05:43 AM.
12-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shot enoeske! A good demonstration of the advantage the front LED has over be traditional catchlight panel. Plus of course it still works in horizontal orientation with the flash head bounced back and sideways also. I haven't found use for the LED as actual continuous illumination yet, but as catchlight it is a great asset.

The traditional panel only works with the flash head pointed upwards, which gives fairly flat lighting .... Bounce is better coming from an angle where it can emulate an off -camera light source.

I agree with the points about getting the most power you can .... The best lighting effects will come from bouncing on-camera and diffusion off-camera, and if you get a high ceiling it can take plenty of power to provide enough light without having to crank up the ISO more than you want.

The new Pentax models are very nice and as mentioned earlier the controls are good and intuitive. There's plenty of info on all this plus their features in my Guide, which you can get from the link below my post, plus photos of the controls and displays.

I guess I have to say that I'd go for the more powerful one, but if you find a deal then the Pentax AF-540FGZ has the power PLUS everything else.

Last edited by mcgregni; 12-16-2015 at 03:41 PM.
12-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks very much for your advice, guys. Much appreciated. And yes, the enoeske's photo is better than any worded explanation.

After all the suggestions, I started feeling that PENTAX AF540II would be an ideal choice for me. This looks like a problem though, as my budget is around £150-170. The cheapest price (that I can see) for 540II is £250! Although I like the idea of LED and also the fact that Pentax has clearer menu + manual buttons, I am a bit puzzled because of the price.

Please can someone help me to understand the guide numbers of all three flashes, i.e. AF540FGZII, AF360 FGZ II, METZ 52 AF-1 ?
hjoseph7 mentioned that Metz has 170' (taken at 110mm), Pentax AF360 FGZ II has 119' (taken at 85mm).

So what would be the guide numbers for all three flashes if we take at e.g. 85mm?

Again, thanks for your support.
12-17-2015, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guide numbers what they mean: Compare Power Rating of Flashes with Guide Numbers

12-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea of LED and also the fact that Pentax has clearer menu + manual buttons
The only Pentax flash I have is an old AF200T, but I do have the Metz 52 AF-1. The Metz has a red LED light for autofocus assist, but not a white LED light to work in conjunction with the main flash, so that's an advantage for the Pentax. The Metz 52 has a LCD touchscreen on the back, so it has a different interface than other Metz models, such as the 48 and I find it very easy to use, but again I have no experience with the Pentax flashes, so it may not be better in regards to ergonomics. If you use your flash outdoors in a rainstorm, WR with the Pentax flashes would also be a benefit. As far as I can tell the Metz flash implements all of the features of P-TTL and it has modelling light and optical slave modes. The biggest benefit of the Metz flash is more power for your money. Flash power is significant, especially when you use bounce flash, reflectors or modifiers and other than bulkiness and cost, there are no disadvantages to having more power. I've had mine for a couple of years without any problems.

---------- Post added 12-17-15 at 05:25 PM ----------

what would be the guide numbers for all three flashes if we take at e.g. 85mm?
@85mm, ISO 100, the guide number for the Metz 52 is 46 meters (151 feet). The Pentax AF 540 should be around 157 feet, but I can't confirm that.

Last edited by RGlasel; 12-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.