Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II Dust Alert will not work

I tried Dust Alert using fresh batteries and with 21mm Ltd, 35mm Ltd and Sigma 18-35mm ART- the camera will not display the image and instead gives me this error:

"The operation could not be completed correctly".

According to the manual I should try again - it doesn't say anything else. I've been trying and trying, but can't get Dust Alert to work

I always check for dust before a job and haven't had issues before. Strange things is, both K-3 II cameras are doing this. I must have overlooked something, but what?

12-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you take a photo of a plain white background?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I used my monitor as target, with Notepad maximized - something I've done many times before.

I ended up checking by taking a photo the normal/manual way but your question led me to try again and this time it worked on both cameras. Only difference is new batteries (tried 3 different before, one of them being original and all fresh from the chargers) and synced setting, however the settings shouldn't have any effect on this what so ever (synced time, disabled auto WB when using flash and Shadow Correction).

I wonder what this means.
12-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you take a photo of a plain white background?
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I wonder what this means.
It means that the instructions in the manual indicate a white wall or other bright subject with no detail in the viewfinder. My understanding is that the camera works from an intentionally defocused image assumed to be evenly lit throughout the frame. If that condition is not detected, the process fails with an error message. I would question whether your monitor satisfies this requirement. The screen is not equally lit across the entire surface at most of the time. Using your monitor makes it harder for the feature to work.

FWIW, I have only rarely used this feature. The camera is picky about targets and I have found that an intentionally defocussed image of a clear sky with direct examination for dust works as well.

Steve

12-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It means that the instructions in the manual indicate a white wall or other bright subject with no detail in the viewfinder. My understanding is that the camera works from an intentionally defocused image assumed to be evenly lit throughout the frame. If that condition is not detected, the process fails with an error message. I would question whether your monitor satisfies this requirement. The screen is not equally lit across the entire surface at most of the time. Using your monitor makes it harder for the feature to work.

FWIW, I have only rarely used this feature. The camera is picky about targets and I have found that an intentionally defocussed image of a clear sky with direct examination for dust works as well.

Steve
And I have found that you get false positives if the white is too bright. I got random "dust particles" shooting sunlit snow. I finally tried white ceiling tiles and it came out clear, a result supported by the images I've taken.
12-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe the error is target related but I'm not convinced (in my particular case). I just tried again and was able to reproduce the error, but of the many attempts I made, it only failed when I had the camera so far from the monitor, so that the entire frame wasn't covered. Not sure how much, but would say 15% gab on each side.

But if I only missed a corner of the frame, then I did not get the error. It certainty does not appear to be too sensitive/picky about the target. I will still keep it in mind though.

Ps. ordinarily I make sure the entire frame is filled.
08-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #7

I get this a lot on my K3 since 1.21 firmware.

It "seems" to relate to expose time . If it takes a short duration shot (judging by the sound) it usually fails . If it takes several seconds it unusually works . e.g. I got it to work just now by pointing it into a dark garage , hitting the shutter, the moving into a bright room.

It took a 30 second shot (must be massively over exposed) but reported it was OK. While this "worked" I’m not confident
it was a valid test . If just over exposing was OK the firmware could just choose to do that. It might shed some light on
how the test works