Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every "silent" lens will make some noise. After all, as @nanhi said above, the lens components rotate around each other and there will always some gear lash noise along with the sound of the motor as well. Some lenses will be quieter than others.

Voice or magnetic coil driven lenses will be absolutely silent. My Sigma 60mm Art lens is dead silent on my Olympus M10. The IBIS makes all sorts of noise though so the system as a whole sounds like static.

12-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a DA 18-270 which I believe is a rebadged Tamron lens; it is what I call "utterly, eerily silent." There is a very faint hum or whir if I listen carefully but someone more than a yard away would never hear it. Sometimes I have to look to be sure it's focusing.
12-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At my own feeder, I've noticed the birds do get used to shutters.
Lyrebirds around here not only get used to camera noises but imitate them.

---------- Post added 12-23-15 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This horse on an Amish farm was upset by the sound of the 18-55 trying to focus in live view on the K-x.
Maybe as an Amish horse it didn't approve of photography.
12-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Also my copy is brutally sharp - so much so ladies hate the pimples, skin blemishes or bleached facial hairs on their face. I just chuckle and have a laugh.
That's when you turn on the software AA filter.

12-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
That was an epic comment!
Ditto!
12-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Lyrebirds around here not only get used to camera noises but imitate them.
What on earth!
12-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

manual focus is pretty silent.

12-23-2015, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
manual focus is pretty silent.
You beat me to it, especially prefocussed wide angles.

To be fair to the OP he did mention "how silent are the DC motors", so my hand doesn't really count.
12-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I have a DA 18-270 which I believe is a rebadged Tamron lens; it is what I call "utterly, eerily silent." There is a very faint hum or whir if I listen carefully but someone more than a yard away would never hear it. Sometimes I have to look to be sure it's focusing.
That is how quiet the SDM is too. It makes a faint whirl or hum sound. It is so quiet (on a good copy) that when it is focusing, sometimes I don't realize it has done anything (unless looking through the VF). But, even saying that, it isn't completely silent.

The DC in the 18-135 WR has a more audible high pitched whine when it focuses.

The screwdrive could almost wake the dead.

Out of the bunch, I prefer the DC. It is (imo) the best compromise between focusing speed and minimal noise.