Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
what filtersystem

Hello. Need some advice on filtersystems. Getting more and more into landscape and "cityscaping", so my need for a good filtersystem is fast growing. Ive been looking around on the net, and there is quite a few things to choose from...Lee seems to be a good option though very expensive. Is it worth the money, or are there other options as good or better ? Today Im using round polaroids witch is good but not enough. The possibility of combining for example polaroid, stopper an graduated ND on different lenses and slowely building the system (as money poors in is what I think I need.

12-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went with LEE and I like the system, but as you say the glass and resin filters are costly. Some users combine LEE holders with cheaper filters, e.g. Hi-Tech, also reputed to be good quality, because they like the LEE holders best.
12-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been using hi-tech for a while and I like them.
12-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider Cokin. They have a filter holder that holds up to three in line, combined with a slot for retaining rings of varying sizes depending on your lens's filter thread size. So you can fit the same filter holder onto multiple different lenses. It's a bit bulky, but it's flexible and because the filters are large and have no edge, you can stack them without risk of vignetting. There is even a "blind" (solid plastic) that fills in for a lenscap if you don't want to be dismounting the filter holder all the time.

I've inherited a bunch of these and the holders with various camera acquisitions, and I find them very useful. The only problem with this system is that it blocks any consideration of using a lens hood or ring-flash system at the same time.

12-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Consider Cokin. They have a filter holder that holds up to three in line, combined with a slot for retaining rings of varying sizes depending on your lens's filter thread size. So you can fit the same filter holder onto multiple different lenses. It's a bit bulky, but it's flexible and because the filters are large and have no edge, you can stack them without risk of vignetting. There is even a "blind" (solid plastic) that fills in for a lenscap if you don't want to be dismounting the filter holder all the time.

I've inherited a bunch of these and the holders with various camera acquisitions, and I find them very useful. The only problem with this system is that it blocks any consideration of using a lens hood or ring-flash system at the same time.
I'm using Cokin as well. Sometimes I have little problems with a certain color cast when using gradual ND-Filters together with polarizers, but I heard that this shall be history with their new "Nuance" product-line. Another plus is you can use some filters from other manufactures as well (Haida, for example, which I like quite a lot). So could start with their not too expensive P system and move to or add some filters from the nuance-system, which is compatible.
12-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

How are the Cokin holders for sealing around the lens, to stop light leakage?
12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't help you with that one - I don't take sufficiently long exposures that it should matter.
12-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I use the Hitech filters in Cokin (p size) holders.
Good filters for the price and a little cheaper than the larger Lee size.
If you are using wider lenses (say 16mm or less) then go with the bigger filters.

If i'm using lots of ND, I'll usually put a lens cloth over the top of the filter holder to block light leaks.
When doing this, don't forget to block the viewfinder as well.
And watch for colour casts.

good luck.

12-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your friendly advises ! Ill keep doing some more research on the net and see where I land. Still leaning towards Lee...seems so solid and versatile and also lets me use my Samyang 14 mm.
12-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote

If i'm using lots of ND, I'll usually put a lens cloth over the top of the filter holder to block light leaks.
When doing this, don't forget to block the viewfinder as well.
And watch for colour casts.

good luck.
Using a cloth over the filter holder, what a simple solution. Thanks.