Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixing a screw mount mechanism

OK I meant screw drive autofocus mechanism (not screw mount)

I know that this is a bit of a repeat from what I wrote about the K20D a day or two ago, but this is more specific and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why this was happening and if there is a relatively straight forward remedy.

My K20D's AF seems to work fine when I put on a lens with an internal motor (e.g., HSM), but when it uses a screw drive lens, it goes wonky, having great difficulty finding focus, if it can find it before giving up. Any idea if there is a way to check on what is wrong with the screw drive autofocus mechanism and how it might be fixed?

Thanks

and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Spodeworld; 12-24-2015 at 11:15 AM.
12-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The screw mount mechanism is in the lens; however,
1. Did you try manualy focusing the AF lens--just to rule out mechanical problems w/ manual focus lens?
2. Did you check if the focusing screen is properly mounted? If it is loose nomally in my experience it ends up out of the shelf it sits in and is askew/immediately obvious. Perhaps google focusing screen. (Do not touch it with bare skin. Use a tool or a covered finger.)

I just realized you meant screw drive AF lens--not screw mount (as in manual focus) lens right? Of course/sorry I misunderstood.
12-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
but when it uses a screw mount lens,
Just FYI I think you mean "screw drive"? Screw Mount is M42, and has no auto focus at all.

No idea what your issue with the AF is though. Any other problems? Are the lenses identified correctly? Are the contacts clean? Is the problem with all screwdrive lenses or just one?
12-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI I think you mean "screw drive"? Screw Mount is M42, and has no auto focus at all.

No idea what your issue with the AF is though. Any other problems? Are the lenses identified correctly? Are the contacts clean? Is the problem with all screwdrive lenses or just one?
I think the OP meant screw drive mechanism on the AF lens, not screw mount (m42) manual lens, although I could be wrong.. LOL

12-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The screw drive mechanism on the camera may be faulty. Either the motor is going bad or the gearing is. If you operated the manual focus ring on a screw drive lens with the AF switch engaged you may have damaged the drive. If the drive itself is damaged service or replacement are you options. Or the drive on the lenses maybe at fault. Test them on another body if possible. Same options - repair or replace if bad.
12-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I meant screw drive autofocus system, sorry. The few screw mount lenses I've tried on this cam often have trouble finding focus with the drive going in and out and giving up. They're ok on my K30, for example. The HSM ones I've tried, though, find focus without problem and without much searching. So, I think something is going on with the screw drive mechanism.

And, MF lenses also work fine on it.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 12-24-2015 at 11:11 AM.