Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 wireless set up for AF360FGZ II

I just purchased the AF360FGZ II and I've tried several times to get the flash to work with the K3 wireless, no luck. I've looked on Youtube, chatted with Ricoh and it sill will not flash wireless. It works great attached to the camera. Here's what I've done: !) attached flash to camera, set flash to P-TTL and pressed the shutter (exposure) button halfway down to set the channel. 2) I made sure the K3 was set in flash mode to Wireless Control. Then I turned off both units and removed the flash and placed it on it's stand. I then turned on the camera, then the flash, set the camera to Wireless Master (as instructed by Ricoh) and set the flash to P-TTLW Slave. No flash. I've tired various combinations and still can not get the 360 to operate in wireless mode. HELP!!

12-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian13 Quote
I just purchased the AF360FGZ II and I've tried several times to get the flash to work with the K3 wireless, no luck. I've looked on Youtube, chatted with Ricoh and it sill will not flash wireless. It works great attached to the camera. Here's what I've done: !) attached flash to camera, set flash to P-TTL and pressed the shutter (exposure) button halfway down to set the channel. 2) I made sure the K3 was set in flash mode to Wireless Control. Then I turned off both units and removed the flash and placed it on it's stand. I then turned on the camera, then the flash, set the camera to Wireless Master (as instructed by Ricoh) and set the flash to P-TTLW Slave. No flash. I've tired various combinations and still can not get the 360 to operate in wireless mode. HELP!!
Is the optical sensor on the 360 able to see the camera's flash?
12-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you set up wireless in your camera?
12-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you raised the flash on the K-3?

Can the sensor on the AF-360 FGZ II see the camera's flash?

Does the flash on the K-3 fire?

Additional question - You have a K-3 and not a K-3 II. If you have the later you will need an on camera flash to trigger the external flash.

Regards

Chris

12-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
12-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Did you set up wireless in your camera?

Yes. I set flash to both control and master with the camera's builtin flash up and down.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Have you raised the flash on the K-3?

Can the sensor on the AF-360 FGZ II see the camera's flash?

Does the flash on the K-3 fire?

Additional question - You have a K-3 and not a K-3 II. If you have the later you will need an on camera flash to trigger the external flash.

Regards

Chris

1) Yes
2) Yes, they both flash when attached and when the flash is attached to the camera and when it is not attached.
3) I have the K-3 not the K-3 II

I'm trying to get the 360 II to flash without the K-3 flashing. Wanting to do the invisible black background technique.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 03:45 PM ----------

Thanks, I read it but it doesn't tell me how to get the 360 II to flash without the flash on the K-3.
12-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. I set flash to both control and master with the camera's builtin flash up and down.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 03:22 PM ----------

1) Yes
2) Yes, they both flash when attached and when the flash is attached to the camera and when it is not attached.
3) I have the K-3 not the K-3 II

I'm trying to get the 360 II to flash without the K-3 flashing. Wanting to do the invisible black background technique.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 03:45 PM ----------

Thanks, I read it but it doesn't tell me how to get the 360 II to flash without the flash on the K-3.
The pop up has to flash to tell the 360 when and how strongly to flash. It will only contribute minorly to the exposure if you have it set to controller.
12-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wireless flash on Pentax flash system (P-TTL flash) is via light signals transmitted just before the shutter operates and the main flash fires. You can set the camera's flash to be controller or master. As master the camera's flash also contributes to the exposure. As controller all the flash on the camera does is pass the light signals to the other flash to tell it what to do - It does not contribute to the actual exposure. You set this in the Custom Settings section.

If you want a different sort of control other than via control flashes from the K-3 and the external flash then you should investigate either:

1. A cable to run from the hot show of the camera to the flash - This means that you can leave the camera's flash down and all P-TTL signals are via the cable. This is limited to the length of the cable. I think the maximum Pentax cable length is 5m. Or
2. A Cactus wireless system. This uses radio waves to send the P-TTL signals via radio waves and is not limited to line of sight.

There are other wireless radio wave systems available, but for Pentax they do not deal with the P-TTL signals and just provide manual triggering of external flashes.

Regards

Chris

12-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The pop up has to flash to tell the 360 when and how strongly to flash. It will only contribute minorly to the exposure if you have it set to controller.

Thanks. I'll try it on controller. I greatly appreciate the help.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Wireless flash on Pentax flash system (P-TTL flash) is via light signals transmitted just before the shutter operates and the main flash fires. You can set the camera's flash to be controller or master. As master the camera's flash also contributes to the exposure. As controller all the flash on the camera does is pass the light signals to the other flash to tell it what to do - It does not contribute to the actual exposure. You set this in the Custom Settings section.

If you want a different sort of control other than via control flashes from the K-3 and the external flash then you should investigate either:

1. A cable to run from the hot show of the camera to the flash - This means that you can leave the camera's flash down and all P-TTL signals are via the cable. This is limited to the length of the cable. I think the maximum Pentax cable length is 5m. Or
2. A Cactus wireless system. This uses radio waves to send the P-TTL signals via radio waves and is not limited to line of sight.

There are other wireless radio wave systems available, but for Pentax they do not deal with the P-TTL signals and just provide manual triggering of external flashes.

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris. I'll try it on controller. I purchased the 360 II so that I could get away from the cable and having to purchase radio wave systems.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 04:45 PM ----------

Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate your help.
12-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you ever find the optical signal system limiting, P13, I've just bought an Acon R930 wireless system and P-TTL/HSS all works. :-)
01-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

If you still struggle with the wireless setup then ensure that both the AF360 and K3 are set to use the same channel. Try to select another channel for you AF360 and then transfer this selection over to your K3. Very often this is the main challenge until you get used to it. Notice point 3 and 4 below - from AF360' manual. (Setting the channel: Press the [CH.] channel button and set to CH1, CH2, CH3 or CH4.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Dabola; 01-03-2016 at 06:03 PM.