Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Neville's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 557
Is there something wrong with my camera?

I have a Pentax K-5II camera, which I have been using extensively over the past few years without any issues.

In the past week or so, I have noticed that many of my shots are ruined by some kind of interference (see sample shots below), and I have no idea what is causing it.

I shoot in RAW and the sample shots below were opened in Lightroom. At first I thought the problem was with my memory card, but the problem persists in another card as well. When I review my shots on the viewfinder on the camera, they all look 100% fine. I then thought there might be a software problem with Lightroom, so I downloaded Raw Therapee and the problem exists there as well.

Is there a problem with my camera?

Attached Images
   
12-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
cpk
Site Supporter
cpk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 227
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
When I review my shots on the viewfinder on the camera, they all look 100% fine.
Looks to be a sensor problem. The viewfinder is a separate system. What appears in live view? I would expect to see the problem there.
12-29-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,475
I know you tried two, but those look like classic samples of file corruption due to a bad SD card. I'd still recommend trying a brand new SD card, formatted in the camera and see if it comes back. If it does, it's probably not the sensor itself, but rather a problem with your camera's main board causing I/O errors on the card write.
12-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian
Imp's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,344
You could create some very interesting images with that effect! Wish you the best of luck, I'll pray for your camera

12-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,248
I recall several prior threads with similar pink bands in photos. Memory corruption is the usual cause, mostly bad SD cards but a camera problem could also cause corrupt data. I had the problem once but reformatting my SD card (I did a full format on a PC then in the camera) permanently fixed it.

Try setting your camera to DNG+JPG. If the problem continues, check to see whether it happens in only the DNG or in both files. That can help troubleshoot the problem.
12-29-2015, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I know you tried two, but those look like classic samples of file corruption due to a bad SD card. I'd still recommend trying a brand new SD card, formatted in the camera and see if it comes back. If it does, it's probably not the sensor itself, but rather a problem with your camera's main board causing I/O errors on the card write.
Those are definitely corrupt files. If the physical card isn't the problem, bad sector, etc, then writing or reading is the fault. The reason RawTherapee and Lightroom both have the problem is because they're both displaying what they can read. The rest of the data is unreadable, corrupted gibberish.

How are you getting pictures from the card to the PC? A cable? A card reader? Built-in? Standalone? It may not have anything at all to do with your camera. Or it might still be possibly the camera's writing to the SD card.

Work from the cheapest, simplest problem up. Bad card, bad cable, bad reader. Then look at your camera & PC.
12-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,717
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
How are you getting pictures from the card to the PC? A cable? A card reader? Built-in? Standalone? It may not have anything at all to do with your camera. Or it might still be possibly the camera's writing to the SD card. Work from the cheapest, simplest problem up. Bad card, bad cable, bad reader. Then look at your camera & PC.
^^^^ This. Eliminate all possible issues through the chain working from cheapest first.
12-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,475
One other note on why they look good when reviewing on the camera but not on the PC - the camera embeds a smaller, compressed preview of the file in the header of the full image so it can be quick previewed on the camera screen. This is also why when you load DNGs, even standalone ones, into lightroom that you will see a version of the photo with all the cameras flash up before the duller-looking, undeveloped DNG is displayed. As long as the header is not corrupted, these preview images can still look fine, even when the full image is messed up.


Last edited by dcshooter; 12-29-2015 at 11:17 AM.
12-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Crooski's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rozenburg , Zuid-Holland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,453
Hi Neville

I do not know if this problem is the same as with my Samsung NX20

This was a sensor problem, and this sensor has been replaced by Samsung

See two random photo's
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NX20  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NX20  Photo 
12-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,475
If the compressed preview images are coming out fine, it rules out a sensor issue, since it would require a good image in the memory buffer after the sensor in the signal chain.

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Hi Neville

I do not know if this problem is the same as with my Samsung NX20

This was a sensor problem, and this sensor has been replaced by Samsung

See two random photo's
12-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,559
I have seen two things cause this, unformatted SD card or bad SD card.
12-30-2015, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
Neville's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 557
Original Poster
Thank you for all the helpful advice.

Good news - it's not the camera or the sensor!

I bought a new SD card and the problem persisted, so it's not the SD card either.

My card reader in my computer stopped working recently so I bought a USB Card Reader adaptor, and I think that's where the problem is.

When I plugged in a USB cable directly between my camera and my computer, the photos were all 100% fine.

What a relief...
12-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,450
Great news!

Always, always, ALWAYS work from the cheapest problem up!
01-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,430
I'm having the exact same issue with the pink bands on the photos. It looks identical to the OP's photos. Been trying to figure this out for a couple months now. When I get a pink one, I can delete it from the harddrive, then transfer it again from the SD card back to the harddrive, then back to LR and it will won't be pink. Sometimes takes a couple attempts.

It seems to really happen when shooting at high frame rates, and also when hitting the buffer for the card.

This happens with three K'3s and 6 San Disk Extereme Cards 95MB/s.

All 3 cameras and 6 cards were purchased at different times from 2 different sellers, so I don't want to think that the camera is at fault. Cards were purchased in pairs. 4 of the cards are less than 2 months old, and 2 of those 4 have only ever been used for around 1000 photos each. If replacing them is the solution, then using something other than San Disk cards are also the solution.

Here's everything I have tried and consistently get pink photos:

2 different versions of LR.
2 different card readers, as well as connecting the camera up to the USB3.0 port.
2 different graphics cards.
Different monitor calibration profiles.
When I transfer photos, I drag and drop from the card to an external drive. I have tested this between 2 different external drives (same brand of drive, different model). Same results.

Everything I read says not to format a camera card in the PC. I have only ever formated them through the cameras. Mine have never been formated in the PC. Do I attempt to format them in the PC, and if so which File system (NTFS or FAT) and which allocation size?

Edit: Found instructions.
Formatting a Memory Card - Why, When, and How

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 01-06-2016 at 09:22 AM.
01-06-2016, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
Neville's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Durban, South Africa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 557
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I'm having the exact same issue with the pink bands on the photos. It looks identical to the OP's photos. Been trying to figure this out for a couple months now. When I get a pink one, I can delete it from the harddrive, then transfer it again from the SD card back to the harddrive, then back to LR and it will won't be pink. Sometimes takes a couple attempts.

It seems to really happen when shooting at high frame rates, and also when hitting the buffer for the card.

This happens with three K'3s and 6 San Disk Extereme Cards 95MB/s.

All 3 cameras and 6 cards were purchased at different times from 2 different sellers, so I don't want to think that the camera is at fault. Cards were purchased in pairs. 4 of the cards are less than 2 months old, and 2 of those 4 have only ever been used for around 1000 photos each. If replacing them is the solution, then using something other than San Disk cards are also the solution.

Here's everything I have tried and consistently get pink photos:

2 different versions of LR.
2 different card readers, as well as connecting the camera up to the USB3.0 port.
2 different graphics cards.
Different monitor calibration profiles.
When I transfer photos, I drag and drop from the card to an external drive. I have tested this between 2 different external drives (same brand of drive, different model). Same results.

Everything I read says not to format a camera card in the PC. I have only ever formated them through the cameras. Mine have never been formated in the PC. Do I attempt to format them in the PC, and if so which File system (NTFS or FAT) and which allocation size?

Edit: Found instructions.
Formatting a Memory Card - Why, When, and How
Have you tried transferring the photos directly from the camera with the USB cable? That was my only solution.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, lightroom, photography, sample, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there something wrong with my Sigma 8-16? bhairavp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-11-2015 02:49 PM
Is there something wrong with my DA* 55mm f/1.4? Moropo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 12-14-2014 12:31 AM
OMG, I think there is something wrong with my K5 Wheatfield Pentax K-5 70 09-09-2011 09:40 AM
Is there something wrong with my DA 35mm? germar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-12-2010 03:02 PM
Is there something wrong with my teleconverter? larryhokie Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 01-27-2010 01:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top