Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Need help with old lenses for new K-S1

I recently purchased a K-S1 off adorama and it should be coming in on Monday. In the meantime, went searching for some older lenses for cheap off of craigslist since they might be compatible with the K-S1 and thus I found an ad for a Pentax MX and 3 lenses. The lady I bought them from said they should all be functional and so for $40 I figured why not. The lenses are:

Lens 1: SMC Pentax-M 1.7 f50mm
Lens 2: Bell & Howel 2.8 f28mm
Lens 3: Quantaray 4-5.6 f70-210mm

Google wasn't much help on giving me any information on these so I was wondering if you guys could help! Do I need any adapters for these? Are they decent lenses at least for a beginner? Any tips on using them? What would be a good way to clean them as they have a fair amount of dust on them.

Thank you guys ahead of time I can take pictures of them if necessary. Sadly not with the K-S1 as it's not in yet

12-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first lens is genuine Pentax, and it will work without an adapter. You need to me in M mode to use it, as described here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

I would do a quick search of the third party lens database for the other two:
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

They should work fine if they have the K mount, and you'd need follow the same steps as with the 50mm.

As for cleaning, there's no easy way to get internal dust out, but you should use a blower (first) and optical tissue + fluid to clean the front and rear elements.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

Original Poster

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. After a quick search of the database I found that the Quantaray lens should work fine, but the Bell & Howel had no information on it. Ah well. I'll try it to see if it works. If not then it can be put on display I can't wait to start taking pictures with these. I was gonna go a 50mm lens anyway so thats a huge plus! saved me a lot of money haha