Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Pentax K10D tech help wanted.

Hi Pentaxians,

First: I just registered while i am seeking help for a technical problem with this camera.
Second: best wishes to you all for the year just started!

To my problem:
for some months i did buy a 2nd hand K10D camera with the kit lens (could not afford a new K5 :-( ).
It feels good in my hands and i like the sturdiness.
A week ago the handle for shake reduction fell of unexpectedly, i was lucky not to loose it (was taking photos in the field).
I am pointing to the flat handle on the back of the camera, aside of the Fn button.
Before i found it was moving (switching) very easy/lightly, i expect this is not as it should be.
It seems as if the flat part (the handle itself) of it was glued to the part that disappears into the camera (by former owner? selling shop??).
That part into the camera feels loose and has radial movement, i can turn this thing a bit in a rotary way -about 10 degrees-, but i cannot achieve some sort of a 'click' which i would expect from a switch (i would think it is a switch).
My questions now: can i remove the remains of the handle by pulling it out of the back of the camera (when this is true it would be mounted-unmounted in a push-pull construction;
Does the original (as on your cameras) handle make a 'click' when the shake reduction function is activated;
It seems as if in the center of the stud (the remains in my camera) there is some sort of a metal core (about 0.2-0.4 mm in diameter): is there a core reinforcing the plastic part or will it be a bodge repaired part;
Will it be possible to acquire a new handle from Pentax or a repairshop?

In the INFO screen, the shake-reduction function is shown as 'disabled' ( / )

O, i did find many pictures of dismantling even this camera by looking in this forum: nice and might be helpfull when i have to take the camera apart to a degree to remove the broken part of the handle.

Hope some other owners of a K10D or a K20D (has the same handle) kan give me information on this.

Thanks for reading,
rob

01-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

The SR switch on my K10D is somewhat stiff (about the same as the AF switch). There is a definite audible click at each stop. Resistance is probably due to weather sealing, so without the seal it would probably not be as stiff.
01-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Upto now i am not able to hear or feel a click!
Do not remember it was clicking before (i do not use the camera that often).
Any idea how the lever is connected to the internals behind the back cover?
Could it be a simple 'put the rod into the hole in the back and press till it snaps on some pin or so within the camera and the handle you have to flip is flat on the outside back of the camera?
This should be an easy question for anyone who ever opened the camera...

Thanks,
rob
01-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

I have no idea on the mechanics of the switch.

You can download a version of the K10D service manual here.

Downloads

and a copy of the illustrated parts list here

Pentax K10D Parts List and Exploded Diagram

Those should give you some idea of what the switch is like inside.

There are some disassembly instructions here, in addition to those in the service manual

http://www.dslrparts.com/#!how-to-replace-camera-parts-on-the-k10d/c6hi

01-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
and a copy of the illustrated parts list here

Pentax K10D Parts List and Exploded Diagram

Those should give you some idea of what the switch is like inside.
I do hope, Pentax' cameras are a better quality as their exploded views....

QuoteQuote:
There are some disassembly instructions here, in addition to those in the service manual

http://www.dslrparts.com/#!how-to-replace-camera-parts-on-the-k10d/c6hi
This link does not seem to work on my computer... :-(

Thank you for the links. Maybe other members will have additional input after their alcohol-levels have dropped again

rob
01-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlandspentax Quote
I do hope, Pentax' cameras are a better quality as their exploded views....

This link does not seem to work on my computer... :-(

Thank you for the links. Maybe other members will have additional input after their alcohol-levels have dropped again

rob
Edit: the link is working... My fault!
01-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

I wouldn't expect much quality from a FAX copy unless it was sent at ultra-high resolution settings. Parts 106, 107, 108, 116 and S36 appear to be what you want. Too bad the list of part #s and names is missing.

01-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(I have a K20d which is very similar.) I suggest you check if the shake reduction is currently on: push info--does the green hand show? if it is that is generally what you want. In that case if you set to 2 sec timer it will be automatically disabled --as you want on tripod.
It seems to move through about 20 degrees arc, and not exactly a click, just a hard stop at on and off. And yes it should not move lightly--has a fair amount of resistance.

Sorry, did not notice you said it is dissabled. I don't believe you can order parts from Pentax/Ricoh.
01-02-2016, 03:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
Parts 106, 107, 108, 116 and S36 appear to be what you want. Too bad the list of part #s and names is missing.
I agree with you, those part numbers will be those connected (or disconnected ) to my problem...
116 is the O-ring seal, which came off (hope i store it in a safe place).
107, 108 and S36 are within the camera and should be united with the lever 106 which with it's stem is passing through a hole in de back of the camera.
It may be 108 is some sort of clip securing the stem of the lever.
Not nice the lever is pictured that unreal in the exploded view.
My guess it should look as a tiny and very short golfclub flattened and seen from aside: the part that hits the ball is the part on the back of the camera on an intact camera, the stick part is the stem that passes to the inside of the camera.
You don't believe the two parts 204 have a relation to the assy i am talking about??

Thank you!
rob

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 03:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
(I have a K20d which is very similar.)
It seems to move through about 20 degrees arc, and not exactly a click, just a hard stop at on and off. And yes it should not move lightly--has a fair amount of resistance.
Thank you for your input on the theme!!
You do mean, on YOUR cam the lever is moving clock/anticlock wise in a ~20 degree arc, and does not click (or let you feel a sort of notch) but is making a sort of stiff movement (and is therefore 'secured in position' by it's stiffness??
(I have seen the K10D and K20D are identical related to the setup involved).

On my patient, the remains of the stem are moving a sort of 'wobbly' in the hole, this may be partially induced by the removed O-ring, which was quite loosely lying around in the recession (the orifice of the hole).

My hope for the case i cannot get a new part from Pentax or a repairer (which i believe with you will be the case... -not nice when people repair their own gear!!! - ), i will be able to glue the broken lever or cast a new one using the old one as a pattern.

Thank you again,
rob
01-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

A few more parts are related. It is unfortunate that the sheets with the actual part # and names is missing as you could see what parts are related by the name. If you open up the camera you should be able to make out what belongs to what. You can probably repair the lever with some JB Weld or JB Plastic Bond. The difficulty may be in positioning the lever so the action moves throughout the correct arc.

Those UV cure adhesives being advertised on TV look intriguing. I wonder if they are as strong as they claim they are.
01-02-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Thank you for your input on the theme!!
You do mean, on YOUR cam the lever is moving clock/anticlock wise in a ~20 degree arc, and does not click (or let you feel a sort of notch) but is making a sort of stiff movement (and is therefore 'secured in position' by it's stiffness??
(I have seen the K10D and K20D are identical related to the setup involved).
rob
Yes, in an arc of about 20 degrees. It is secured by the stiffness and its motion is limited by the raised external surface of the camera--it is operating in a shallow reactangular depressed area.
01-03-2016, 04:28 AM   #12

Original Poster

DSLR Camera Parts
An important question, strongly related to the thread:
the instructions in this link start with the statement 'Philips PH000' screwdriver is needed (should be Phillips though, it's only a detail ).
Other infos i read, on dpreview e.g., state for removing these camerascrews only JIS-screwdrivers should be used, as the Phillips differs slightly, but demoishing, from the JIS (shape of screw head/screwdriver tip).
As i don't want to ruin my screw-heads, i am interested in the ultimate truth about this theme, preferrably from a guy/gal WHO DID IT him-/herself!!

On this forum there should be persons who can inform on this...

Thanks again,
rob
01-03-2016, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #13

Other infos i read, on dpreview e.g., state for removing these camerascrews only JIS-screwdrivers should be used, as the Phillips differs slightly, but demoishing, from the JIS (shape of screw head/screwdriver tip).
As i don't want to ruin my screw-heads, i am interested in the ultimate truth about this theme, preferrably from a guy/gal WHO DID IT him-/herself!!
Invest in a set of JIS drivers. JIS drivers are compatible with Philips head screws but Philips drivers are not fully compatible with JIS screws.
01-06-2016, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K10D parts body up in my display case. I will give it a shakedown and extract the switch maybe over the weekend. I will post the results.
01-09-2016, 03:48 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi Wisconsin Guitar Man,

I am very happy with your plans on this!!
When you have your digicam at hand, maybe you could take some pics, otherwise some sort of a description how to take apart would help me..
It is the first time i will try (and have to finish successfully) camera surgery.
I ordered a set of small JIS screwdrivers in the USA, but the gents seem a bit slow in processing (PayP was considerably faster in taking my money) the order.
I expect getting the tools end of upcoming week.

I am keen to see your input again.

btw: looked over here for a 'scrap' Pentax on the net, but only some working are the result, these might be equal (or better?) than mine.

lowlandspentax