Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #31

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 32bit Pro - it shows the thumbnails on PEF files without me adding anything. Microsoft must have updated Windows 10 to handle PEFs.

Just for grins I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit on virtual machines.

Windows 8.1 did not show thumbnails until I installed the patched 64 bit Camera RAW pack for Windows 7. Windows 10 showed thumbnails, once again withoutme adding anything. Updates were applied automatically as part of the install.

Note you have to set the file explorer view to medium or larger icons or the thumbnails won't show.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-08-2016 at 03:15 AM.
02-08-2016, 03:08 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I just did a clean install of Windows 10 32bit Pro - it shows the thumbnails on PEF files without me adding anything. Microsoft must have updated Windows 10 to handle PEFs.
Doesn't work for me either.... I have refresh my computer (It's almost the same as reinstalled the whole OS) and .PEFs do not show up. I tried to open them up with Windows Photo viewer and I get:
Attached Images

02-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #33

I don't know what to say.

I cloned a Win7 32 Pro VM and updated it to Win 10 32 Pro. I burned some PEFs onto a CD so there would be no other system files like thumbnail caches.

I did a clean install of Win 10 64bit Pro to another Virtual Machine, same CD attached

As you can see the Camera RAW has not been installed on either of these. All I can think of is that Microsoft finally pushed out the updates to handle the RAW file. Which I what I said earlier you probably just had to wait. Why it doesn't work for some people is a mystery to me unless it is related to the version of the PEF.
02-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I am running Win 10 Pro 64-bit (v10.0 build 10240), but have feature updates constrained. I don't see previews for either DNG or PEF.

Steve

02-09-2016, 02:12 AM   #35

I did really believe .PEF format works for you and almost everybody. I reinstalled Windows 8.1 and the problem is the same. At least in this version of Windows I see the message: "This file can't be opened. The file might be damaged".
As far I know, if any file is corrupted, you cannot simply open it in any program. Well, when I have used that ugly Pentax software, I was actually able to open all of them..... Strange, this things should work out of the box for everybody...
My Pentax itself works well, no issues whatsoever. I can see my thumbnails, previews, manipulate .PEF inside the camera without a hitch. My cars work well, the are magnetic secured and reasonable fast and big for my needs. I really don't get it... Well, I will keep shooting in JPEG and DNG, it doesn't bother me too much in that case.
Thank you.
Attached Images

02-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #36

On 8.1 you need to install the Camera RAW pack:

Download Update for Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2859675) from Official Microsoft Download Center
Download Update for Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8.1 (KB2859675) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Window 8.1 64bit before installing Camera RAW pack

After installing patched Win7 Camera RAW 64bit pack

Win7 Pack uninstalled, thumbnail cache cleared (disk cleanup tool), Win8.1 Camera RAW 64 bit pack installed

02-09-2016, 04:25 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may well be that the latest version of PEF as used by the K-3II and possibly K-S2 won't display as thumbnails in Windows Explorer - mine don't in Win7, although those from my K-5 do. So I use Faststone as my thumbnail sorting program as it displays both the new PEF and DNG.

02-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
It may well be that the latest version of PEF as used by the K-3II and possibly K-S2 won't display as thumbnails in Windows Explorer - mine don't in Win7, although those from my K-5 do. So I use Faststone as my thumbnail sorting program as it displays both the new PEF and DNG.
I can also see K5 previews, not K3. The only issue I can think about it's my SD-cards are corrupt but in that case I shouldn't be able to see anything... As I stated before, I can see PEFs only with Pentax image software (which I never use).
I've also tried to install this 8.1 codec pack but I cannot go much further because they are incompatible OS versions (currently, I'm on Windows 10).
I'll reinstall the firmware as well as format my cards. I will also test both RAW+JPEG (two cards) and stand alone RAW (one card and two cards).
I have to say that I can see DNG files after the piece of software was installed. Weird, very weird case, my case, I cannot contact Pentax directly, unlike as any other big corporation, they don't have customer hot-line.
02-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #39

I have reinstalled the firmware as well as I reset my settings.... I have installed Silkypix 5 64-bit and then I updated to the latest version. nothing happens. I can though see PEFs with this software but no tnumbails on Windows (which it's the easy and fastest way). I can still see my K5 PEF thumbnails without any problem.... I give up.
02-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #40

If you have no thumbnails at all check the Folder and Search option - View - Advanced Options - Files and Folders - Always show icons, never thumbnails = unchecked
02-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #41

HI there! Well, it's unchecked by default, at least it was unchecked when I checked it up. It's a pity... Files work well on Lightroom though
02-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChileanPentaxGuy Quote
I have reinstalled the firmware as well as I reset my settings
FWIW, the PEF version in the newer cameras is the same as it was on my 2007 K10D. Edit: I have since found out that this is not strictly the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChileanPentaxGuy Quote
I can still see my K5 PEF thumbnails without any problem.... I give up.
Put the blame on the codec support. Something tells me that they don't handle larger pixel dimensions.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-18-2016 at 05:12 PM.
02-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, the PEF version in the newer cameras is the same as it was on my 2007 K10D.

Put the blame on the codec support. Something tells me that they don't handle larger pixel dimensions.

Steve
I have suspected that the size 24mp is "too large" so WIN 10 cannot READ PROPERLY (SORRY FOR THe caps it's my tablet's issue). I wrote to Pentax support and they say pretty much they have nothing to do with it, only focuses on Pentax software...

Dear Mr/Mrs XXXXX,
Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging
A file with the PEF file extension is a Pentax Raw Image file.
These can only be opened by programs designed by Pentax.
They are not supported by Windows.
I would suggest using the .DNG file type for RAW files.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXX
07-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've provided links for modified versions of the install files.
That's really great, but I'm wondering whether that would help the OP who was looking for support for their K-S2.

However, the installer you patched only seems to take care of the following models: *ist D, *ist DL, *ist DS, K10D, K20D, K100D, K100D Super, K110D, K200D, K-01, K-5, K-7, K-r, K-x.

Did you also perform a patch that extends the use of the codec to new camera models?
Would it be possible to support the K-1 that way?
07-30-2017, 02:08 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Did you also perform a patch that extends the use of the codec to new camera models?
Would it be possible to support the K-1 that way?
The later RAW packs use a newer installer package and there is no tool available that I can find to modify them in a similar manner.