Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 03:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The later RAW packs use a newer installer package and there is no tool available that I can find to modify them in a similar manner.
Thanks for the reply.

None of the available RAW packs seem to support the K-1 PEF files, so its unlikely that there would be a point in modifying them anyhow (unless "modification" means, widening the applicability of a codec to a wider range of camera models and that the codec would actually work for K-1 files).

I'll just shoot DNG RAW then. I just confirmed that Capture One does not appear to provide different levels of support for PEF vs DNG files (at least as rendering is concerned), so my only motivation for shooting PEF (C1 potentially handling this file type better) does not seem to exist.

07-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
None of the available RAW packs seem to support the K-1 PEF files, so its unlikely that there would be a point in modifying them anyhow (unless "modification" means, widening the applicability of a codec to a wider range of camera models and that the codec would actually work for K-1 files).
True. You'd have to look at the date of the RAW pack or Microsoft's list of supported cameras. Probably the K-3 is the most recent model supported.

I don't know why Microsoft hasn't released a pack for Windows 10 unless they are integrating it into the base OS updates.
07-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've recommended this before in similar threads... This codec pack is $10 but free 15 day trial.. There really is no going back once you try it... Much faster than any other options on Windows (including Win10).. I haven't shot PEF since my K100D days and too lazy to go switch my K1 to PEF and test it for you at the moment, but would bet this codec pack solves OP's problem. (I did check though and my k100D PEF files do get fast thumbnails, Win10).

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 8.x Desktop, Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP

Last edited by todd; 07-30-2017 at 09:36 AM.
07-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little confused about the Codec. The Microsoft page indicates that the latest camera pack was released in 2014 and details the included cameras from Pentax and others. K-3's and other newer cameras are not listed. While the K-01 is mentioned, I don't think it is the current camera of that designation. All cameras use the PEF format, but my experience is that the camera model is part of the definition. I have located, by google search , a 64bit version of the camera pack, with the version being (6.3.9723.0 instead of ...9721). But the date of publishing is still 3 years old and prior to the current cameras. So how does all this work to show PEF images. There is at least 1 editing program that does exhibit images as icons, and that is On1 Raw, and also the free Viewer/Editor Faststone has no trouble with the PEF format.

07-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iam1of2 Quote
So how does all this work to show PEF images. There is at least 1 editing program that does exhibit images as icons, and that is On1 Raw, and also the free Viewer/Editor Faststone has no trouble with the PEF format.
The whole codec compatibility issue is fairly ironic in that all they do is extract the JPEG thumbnail images (included in both the PEF and DNG). No RAW processing is involved. Once extracted, the JPEGS are cached by the OS for later use...end of story. To make things even more interesting, both PEF and DNG (along with NEF and others) are TIFF/EP-compliant with the preview images being stored at standard addresses in the file structure. Any TIFF/EP-compliant parser should be able to extract those JPEGs.* That is probably how products such as Faststone do their job with such ease.

Steve
07-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #51
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The whole codec compatibility issue is fairly ironic in that all they do is extract the JPEG thumbnail images (included in both the PEF and DNG). No RAW processing is involved. Once extracted, the JPEGS are cached by the OS for later use...end of story. To make things even more interesting, both PEF and DNG (along with NEF and others) are TIFF/EP-compliant with the preview images being stored at standard addresses in the file structure. Any TIFF/EP-compliant parser should be able to extract those JPEGs.* That is probably how products such as Faststone do their job with such ease.

Steve
This is one of my pet complaints about Pentax's owners especially Ricoh.

See:
What happened to PEF support in Windows. - PentaxForums.com

Ricoh and other camera manufacturers have let their customers down and apparently nothing the users say will change that. Ricoh has turned RAW processing over to Adobe. As some would say - suck it up and deal with it.
07-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Fully compliant Windows 10 Codec pack: $9.95 USD or 15-day free trial edition...

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 8.x Desktop, Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP

The Web site appears hokey, but that is not unusual for developer-created sites. I have dealt with the author, Axel Rietschin, in the past in regards to custom Nikon scanner drivers and he is legitimate.

Edit: I have sent them an e-mail requesting confirmation of current model Pentax camera support. I will post an update if they respond.

Edit: ...and here is the response...

QuoteQuote:
We are a little late with camera support, however there are chances that some models work with the current product because we use the JPEG preview embedded in most RAW files and those tends to stay compatible even if the camera’s sensor is different etc. The best is to see for yourself by installing the trial version. We plan to issue an update later this year to refresh the camera support.

Thanks,

Axel

Steve

(...no business or personal relationship with Fast Picture Viewer)

(...Ooops! Just noticed that Todd posted the link too...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-01-2017 at 08:20 AM.
08-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Ricoh has turned RAW processing over to Adobe.
???
  1. For the purposes of seeing thumbnails in an OS file browser, one does not need RAW processing.
  2. Ricoh still includes a variant of Silkypix with their cameras. This RAW processing is arguably better than Adobe's, at least as Pixel Shift is concerned.
  3. There are a ton of alternatives to Adobe RAW processing, e.g., Capture One, RawTherapee, Darktable, dcraw(ps), etc.

08-01-2017, 04:52 AM   #54
Pentaxian

I think people already mentioned that codecs are not a great solution. Something like Lightroom, RawTheapee, FastStone can show you previews, do fast and even automatic developing and its much faster than mucking about in Explorer with some slow codecs that take up a bunch of memory. Just open LR or RT and select, develop, delete, whatever.

DNG is usually the better format. Pef and dng are actually not different in the raw contents, but dng generally has wider software support. You will make a copy when you are done developing. For example, you shoot dng, then you develop it, then you export a resized, compressed jpeg for online use, and maybe a full quality tiff for print use. After you used them, you delete the jpeg and tiff and keep only the raw file with its edits