Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cannot view raw files in Windows 10

Hello all,
I'm running windows 10 and up until recently I was able to view raw thumbnail photo files from my Canon T3, but all of a sudden I'm not able to view it for my Pentax KS-2 (.PEF). So as a work around I have changed my default photo viewing application to Picasa. Even though I'm not able to see the picture in thumbnail, I'm able to open the photo. But two seconds after opening the photo in Picasa this [happens](http://i.imgur.com/M8rtjKn.png). I'm all out of ideas, please help.

01-01-2016, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need the correct codec installed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829
01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Hello all,
I'm running windows 10 and up until recently I was able to view raw thumbnail photo files from my Canon T3, but all of a sudden I'm not able to view it for my Pentax KS-2 (.PEF). So as a work around I have changed my default photo viewing application to Picasa. Even though I'm not able to see the picture in thumbnail, I'm able to open the photo. But two seconds after opening the photo in Picasa this [happens](http://i.imgur.com/M8rtjKn.png). I'm all out of ideas, please help.
I think if you shoot RAW in DNG files, you should be fine viewing in thumbnails running windows 10. Otherwise, you have to have the correct codec for PEF files.
01-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think if you shoot RAW in DNG files, you should be fine viewing in thumbnails running windows 10. Otherwise, you have to have the correct codec for PEF files.
I think you need a codec for DNG as well. At least you did on WIndows 7

The DNG codec is here: https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5495 This is older and has not been updated but seems to work on Win 10.

01-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows Vista Service Pack 2

I have already tried this and since I'm running Win 10, it won't work.
01-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, Windows Vista Service Pack 2

I have already tried this and since I'm running Win 10, it won't work.
The Fotor App will view RAW files in Win 10, and develop them.
01-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

I use Windows Photo Viewer
01-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack on Windows 10 Technical Preview

Patched MSI file is the 64bit version. If you are running 32bit you'll have to get the Microsoft tool Orca and modify the 32bti install file yourself. Basically remove the version check out of the install file.

Or just wait for Microsoft to update the Camera Raw codec pack.

01-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Easiest thing is to select DNG raw files, Windows 10 needs nothing to view them to my knowledge, I've seen them from day one on my win10 machine. But now I see that I can view PEF thumbnails also. I've had this PC for about six months and this is the first I've attempted to look at a PEF file. My PEF files are on an external drive that was earlier connected to my old Vista PC. Possibly the codec was residing on the drive.
01-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Possibly the codec was residing on the drive.
You're just seeing the cached thumbnails.
01-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Easiest thing is to select DNG raw files, Windows 10 needs nothing to view them to my knowledge, I've seen them from day one on my win10 machine. But now I see that I can view PEF thumbnails also. I've had this PC for about six months and this is the first I've attempted to look at a PEF file. My PEF files are on an external drive that was earlier connected to my old Vista PC. Possibly the codec was residing on the drive.
Sorry to ask this but how do I get a DNG raw files?

Never mind, I figured out how to change file type.

Last edited by dahabit; 01-01-2016 at 09:21 PM.
01-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I was unable to get the Windows Codex to load on my x64 Win 10 machine. It complained it was for the wrong version which I see was a problem with the 32 bit version... I didn't realize it was a problem with the 64 bit version.
01-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I just reinstalled the patched Windows 7 version that I linked above to my Win 10 64 Pro. The patched file does not check the OS version. If you don't trust the patched version you can download the Microsoft Orca tool and patch the files from Microsoft yourself.

The Windows 7 camera raw pack works fine on my system.

I'll even repost the link even though it is just 5 posts back:

Microsoft Camera Codec Pack on Windows 10 Technical Preview
01-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My main box had a "power event" during one of the latest series of power failures in the Puget Sound. I had to flatten and reload the OS on my C:\ drive. I also had to reload all of my software, it is on the D:\ drive for the most part. This machine started out it life as a Windows 7 Pro x64, upgraded to 8-8.1 and 10. It is now running Windows 10 and I have not had to put the Windows codex on it to see RAW files. I did get the codex for DNG files (v2.0) and it works fine.

I have had this conversation before, Microsoft only supports JPEG, TIFF, GIF etc, the codex's (codexi?) are supplied via the manufacturers and packaged by a separate company and pushed via updates by Microsoft. Adobe owns the DNG file type and will never "give" it to Microsoft for distribution, they never have and they never will. Go to the Adobe site, search for DNG codex for Windows, download it and you will be golden.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
My main box had a "power event" during one of the latest series of power failures in the Puget Sound. I had to flatten and reload the OS on my C:\ drive. I also had to reload all of my software, it is on the D:\ drive for the most part. This machine started out it life as a Windows 7 Pro x64, upgraded to 8-8.1 and 10. It is now running Windows 10 and I have not had to put the Windows codex on it to see RAW files. I did get the codex for DNG files (v2.0) and it works fine.

I have had this conversation before, Microsoft only supports JPEG, TIFF, GIF etc, the codex's (codexi?) are supplied via the manufacturers and packaged by a separate company and pushed via updates by Microsoft. Adobe owns the DNG file type and will never "give" it to Microsoft for distribution, they never have and they never will. Go to the Adobe site, search for DNG codex for Windows, download it and you will be golden.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I tried that. Adobes download is also win7 specific.