Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The trouble is that restoring TTL requires introducing new flashes to support it, as the current models don't have it. It would seem that having the camera do both P-TTL and TTL would be not so good, since older flashes that do both would choose...which? I suppose it can all be worked out, of course, but it might be a consumer confusion nightmare.
The AF360FGZ and AF540FGZ would do TTL for 35mm, 645, and 6x7, as well as P-TTL on the digital cameras. The newer AF360FGZ-II and AF540FGZ-II models only do P-TTL.

01-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So if I am understanding this, a legacy TTL flash will not do TTL with my K20D? Specifically I am looking at a Vivitar Series 1 Model 600 M/P/O unit. I don't necessarily need any more flash equipment, just thinking I could get a cheap strobe with TTL capability...

If this is the case, that is disappointing. Pentax has done a good job with backwards compatibility, except in this one area.
01-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The AF360FGZ and AF540FGZ would do TTL for 35mm, 645, and 6x7, as well as P-TTL on the digital cameras. The newer AF360FGZ-II and AF540FGZ-II models only do P-TTL.
You missed my point. The camera only does one of P-TTL or TTL.

That makes the bind this: put only TTL on the camera now and the current generation of flashes don't work with it. Then they have to revamp the flash line...and explain why the previous generation of flashes is not compatible with the current cameras. That makes everyone who bought a II flash unhappy because they cannot port their existing equipment to a new camera.

That means the camera would have to do both TTL and P-TTL. I suppose it can be selected by menu function but certainly there is a reason why they went to P-TTL so long ago, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
So if I am understanding this, a legacy TTL flash will not do TTL with my K20D?
This is correct. Of all Pentax DSLR, only the *ist does TTL. If you want automation, you must buy a P-TTL compatible flash or work solely in manual mode.
01-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I don't think it matters but two other Pentax DSLRs do TTL flash: the *ist DS and the *ist DS2. All three of these cameras do P-TTL as well. I have a DS and an AF560FGZ. If I put a DA lens on the camera, I can set the flash to P-TTL. If I put an M or K lens on the camera and switch the camera to M mode so the lens works correctly, I can choose TTL but not P-TTL. If I put an A Lens on the camera and set the aperture ring to A, I get P-TTL. If I move it off A and again use M mode on the camera, the flash display switches to TTL. So Pentax knows how to have the camera select P-TTL when it can and TTL when it has to settle.

01-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't think it matters but two other Pentax DSLRs do TTL flash: the *ist DS and the *ist DS2. All three of these cameras do P-TTL as well. I have a DS and an AF560FGZ. If I put a DA lens on the camera, I can set the flash to P-TTL. If I put an M or K lens on the camera and switch the camera to M mode so the lens works correctly, I can choose TTL but not P-TTL. If I put an A Lens on the camera and set the aperture ring to A, I get P-TTL. If I move it off A and again use M mode on the camera, the flash display switches to TTL. So Pentax knows how to have the camera select P-TTL when it can and TTL when it has to settle.
So if the lens reports aperture to the camera, you get P-TTL and like it. If not, you get TTL. It's not a choice, really. With A, F, and FA lenses you kinda get to choose: either automatic metering and P-TTL or stop-down metering and TTL.

I think what we're talking about here is letting, say, DA lenses choose either one.
01-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scwinn Quote
Does anyone else have a recommendation of third party flashes that may work well?
Any older flash that has it's own auto light metering sensor will work. My old Metz 45CT1 'potato masher' is a case in point. Just set your camera to X, link camera to flash (via hot shoe/ cable / wireless or whatever the flash supports), and read the right aperture from the flash manual.
My only concern is whether mounting the flash on the camera will somehow hurt the camera..
If you end up using an older flash, you may need a 'safe-sync' hotshoe adapter to protect your camera from high-voltage old flashes (like the Metz 45 CT1). I have found the Cactus v6 radio trigger to be a good investment. It acts as a 'safe-sync' hotshoe adapter, as well as providing lots of other useful flash support features (like an X-sync adapter port, which is handy, but which the K-50 lacks).
01-23-2016, 02:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Then you need to go read this.
Thanks for the link! A really impressive list. Even found my old Braun BVC320. Unfortunately the flash doesn't work anymore. A leaked battery seems to be the reason for the damage.
01-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I am looking to purchase an inexpensive used flash on ebay. There are several TTL flashes for Pentax with makes such as Promaster, Vivitar, and Bower. If these flashes come out of the film era, will thay still work on my K-50 DSLR< or will mounting them hurt my camera?
Back on the original post. I have several Vivitar 285 HV flashes, the first one I bought in the late '80s and it is still humming along. I have bought several more on ebay for $25 or less. (My purpose is to have a number of matching strobes for multi-flash photos). The "HV" version has safe trigger voltages (I believe the older 285 non-HV is not safe). There are 4 auto settings that give you a pretty good range to work with.

I do not own one but I am hearing good things about these Yongnou flashes as an option for something new:

Yongnuo YN 560 IV reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

01-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
You missed my point. The camera only does one of P-TTL or TTL.

That makes the bind this: put only TTL on the camera now and the current generation of flashes don't work with it. Then they have to revamp the flash line...and explain why the previous generation of flashes is not compatible with the current cameras. That makes everyone who bought a II flash unhappy because they cannot port their existing equipment to a new camera.

That means the camera would have to do both TTL and P-TTL. I suppose it can be selected by menu function but certainly there is a reason why they went to P-TTL so long ago, right?

This is correct. Of all Pentax DSLR, only the *ist does TTL. If you want automation, you must buy a P-TTL compatible flash or work solely in manual mode.
You aren't going to change a camera from P-TTL to TTL or vise-versa. Since a flash can obviously do either, developing a next-generation camera that does TTL doesn't exactly require a new invention in flash technology. So the FGZ-II line goes extinct - big deal. It was "pay more for less" anyway. The FGZ-III line can have TTL/P-TTL, rotating head, and a way to turn off the annoying "auto-power-off" feature without re-inventing any wheels. I'd pay full price for one.
01-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I emailed the people at Promaster about my TTL flash, as it was a high quality one that I had used exclusively with my K100D. In the past they had always offered firmware updates, but the representative from Promaster was fairly clear that they were not interested in supporting it anymore, again citing the lack of popularity of Pentax, essentially calling us dinosaurs, much like the representative from Sigma did in another post I read. As a longtime Pentaxian, it is discouraging how rudely these companies act toward us. It seems to me that all customers should matter. It seems they feel we are clinging to Pentax out of some misguided brand loyalty, rather than the rational reasons I chose to stay (camera features, ergonomics, innovation, quality, price, etc.). The other brands have done a better job of keeping their brand sexy and popular, and "pack mentality" seems to rule these days.

Last edited by OhioAngie; 06-09-2016 at 12:20 PM.