Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

K-S2 dead on arrival?

Hello there. Here's a first post, and a query.

I've just bought my first DSLR, a brand-new K-S2. Now, it may be that I've missed something obvious, but the camera seems dead on arrival. With a fully charged battery (the green light on the charger having switched off) and correctly inserted, I get no response when I turn the on/off/video dial to 'on'. Pentax tech helpline advise I return to the shop I bought it from, as there's nothing they can do over the phone with a camera in this state.

I've searched online to see if others had experienced the same. Nothing comes up. Hummmm.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

01-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the memory card door properly closed?

If so then I'd just get the camera exchanged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum in unfortunate circumstances
I would return it to the store if I were you.
01-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the speedy responses, both, and for the welcome. Yes, the memory card door is nicely shut. The tech chap at Pentax hadn't come across this before: always a first time, I guess. I'll be taking the camera back to the shop I bought it from, for a swap (unless I'm made to look a fool for having missed something else obvious!), and will post more info here.

01-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Check the memory card door, open and close it to make sure.
Check the mode dial and make sure it is not half way between settings.
Check the on/off/video switch in video.

Other than that, back to shop. And if they make you look a fool, what's the worst that can happen? You learned something. But I suspect the camera is indeed DOA. Ask at the shop to check the new one before you leave.
01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #6

Also lens not "clicked in" fully can cause that. Had that on my new K-30, putting lens off and onto the camara again solved that problem.
01-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks also to jatrax and Reed: I've checked everything as suggested, and still no sign of life. I'll definitely be scrutinising the replacement in the shop before I leave!
01-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

One more thing - the shop might try to have it "repaired", but you should insist on getting it replaced with a working copy. Repairs take long time and might not be 100% when you get the item back. If the item is not working when you get it, you are entitled to a replacement (but check your local laws just in case)
Hope you get things sorted out. Its a good camera, too bad you have to deal with this problem

01-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk. I've spoken to the shop: they'll be getting a replacement in, so all good on that front.
01-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
smf
Loyal Site Supporter

Any chance the battery or the battery charger is the problem?
I do not recall the specifics, but I think perhaps I read charging instructions in the full (online) manual which were not as complete in the quick-start printed manual.
Could you make arrangements with the store to have store personnel charge the new camera's battery before you go to the store?
If the camera does not have a charged battery, you will not know at the store whether you have a fully functioning camera..
Best wishes!

Last edited by smf; 01-04-2016 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Fix typo
01-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
Good shout, smf!
01-24-2016, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Hi there. So, to round this story off: this K-S2 had some kind of fault, but I've had good service from the shop I bought it from and now have a fully-functioning replacement. Nice!
01-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BluesRunner Quote
Hi there. So, to round this story off: this K-S2 had some kind of fault, but I've had good service from the shop I bought it from and now have a fully-functioning replacement. Nice!
May the force be with you then Welcome to the Dark Side