Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

USB cable compatibility

I just got my first k-3, which did not come with a USB cable. I use it to transfer photos to my computer. I have 4 k-50's and a k30 so I have 5 cables for them. I noticed that the USB port looks a little different on the k-3 as apposed to the K-50. Are they interchangeable or do I need to find a new cable for my k-3? (In case your wondering, I shoot motorsports and often hit 100,000 clicks by the end of the season. Then semi retire them as back up's, light use and vacation camera's etc.)

01-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer...

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the cable that came with my K-50 did not work with my K-3; fortunately, I did have another mini-USB cable that did fit the K-3; I did also recently purchase the correct USB cable from B&H and my transfer speeds are quicker....
01-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 has a USB3 micro E port. A smaller (and cheaper) USB2 micro E cable will also work, but you won't optimal transfer speeds with it.

I believe the K-50 has a mini B port, so its cable will not work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both! I'll need a new cable than. I hope they stick to one size for now on.