Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Before cleaning the sensor I'd be looking at why it got in this state in the first place. It doesn't just happen. There's little point in doing a sensor clean if the cause isn't identified, as you'll be cleaning it again in no time.

Have you left the body around with no lens or lens cap? Have you been taking too long to change lenses in a dusty environment?

Think hard about what happened 'Suddenly, within the past few weeks...' because it takes some effort to get a sensor this dirty.

None of my DSLRs have ever needed sensor cleaning in all the years I've had them, which is not me being smug, just a statement of fact.

01-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Before cleaning the sensor I'd be looking at why it got in this state in the first place. It doesn't just happen. There's little point in doing a sensor clean if the cause isn't identified, as you'll be cleaning it again in no time.

Have you left the body around with no lens or lens cap? Have you been taking too long to change lenses in a dusty environment?

Think hard about what happened 'Suddenly, within the past few weeks...' because it takes some effort to get a sensor this dirty.

None of my DSLRs have ever needed sensor cleaning in all the years I've had them, which is not me being smug, just a statement of fact.
No, it hasn't been left open or anything and I try to not change lens in a bad environment. I used my previous dslr for 2-3 years and never had to clean it either. That is why I was surprised at this problem. I ordered a kit today and have been reading tutorials on how to clean. In the pics, it actually had me wondering if some of the small spots could be mold.

I guess that I have not been living right lately, but we will see how it goes. I am now beyond the frustrated stage and gone on to the resigned stage to do whatever is necessary.

Again, I am appreciative of all the help.
01-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you get nervous or things don't work out well with your own cleaning, maybe contact Eric Henderson. He's not expensive and has a good reputation around here.

Home
01-05-2016, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

If there is really no explanation and you see oily bits (which are hard to clean, might require a special solution) then it is somewhat possible that there is a failed mechanical part in the body that sprayed some oil/grease/gunk on the sensor. Or one of your lenses had something on the rear (liquid) that wasn't noticed when it was mounted. (Then I'd expect to gunk on mirror, etc also.) Getting a few dust specks over time is normal even if you are careful. But that level of gunk and to have no idea how it could have happened? That's weird. Got any mischievous children (or adults) around?

01-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As Steve said, it does look like somebody has already had a go at wiping the sensor with something - did you loan the camera out?

That aside - it is what it is. In my opinion, this requires a thorough "three stage" cleaning - one, remove debris and dust on the sensor; two, wet clean to remove the smudges and dried moisture spots (looking at your photo, I think it will need at least a couple of passes of wet cleaning); and three, final dust removal to get rid of any remaining dust that has settled during the cleaning job. In your case I think it is essential you do all three stages - please don't perform a wet clean until you've got rid of the debris first, as you'll risk scratching the sensor.

You can get all of the items to do this yourself for well under the rather steep $150 your local camera shop wants to do the job for you. There are plenty of tutorials on how to tackle the cleaning, and it's actually easier than you might think - it just requires a little care. And when you've done it once, you'll never worry about a dirty sensor again.

If you decide to have a go yourself, I'd be happy to detail the items I use, and walk you through the process.
Thank you for your offer. I may need to take you up on it.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 09:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If you get nervous or things don't work out well with your own cleaning, maybe contact Eric Henderson. He's not expensive and has a good reputation around here.

Home
Do you have contact information for Eric Henderson in case I need him?
01-06-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
His name is Eric Hendrickson: Home
I'm not sure he does sensor cleaning - his specialty is film camera and lens repair.
01-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks paulh.

01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by zoomlens Quote
Thanks paulh.
Erics's home page says "No Digital Camera's" (sorry for jumping in, but I'm having a similar problem).