Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I don't think that feature is available in Pentax TAv mode - I've seen others complain about this, especially since at least one of them (by my recollection) recalls some Canon DSLRs having it. I know what you're after - keep the ISO low for quality until it absolutely must rise to preserve sharpness - but I'm not sure we have it.
There are also some Nikon bodies that do this. 800 series I believe. The feature does have appeal.

01-05-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Only the first shot in a sequence is slower, Lev.

And you can pre-expose by pointing at some concrete or similar light neutral object, and this is important - moving the needle to where you want by the settings you're happy with. Even works with flash photography for getting your ambient right.

Then you're free to snap away, riding any one of the dials for variation between shots.

It beats wrestling with blurred photos or high ISO grain or inappropriate DoF! :-)

Is this your camera?

Name:  m.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  117.0 KB

No, seriously, we are talking about automation here, of course manual mode is better, but again, I don't feel comfortable to dial M when I want to take photo instantly.
01-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you see my post above, I have no choice sometimes. I'm stealing your pic, though - it's very funny. You do encounter hardcore old skoolers from time to time in this forum - this should delight them! ☺
01-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
Lev

Original Poster
TAv for shots involving people.
I think I'll use this mode too in future taking pictures of people, but the main question remains

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 02:00 PM ----------

If you see my post above, I have no choice sometimes. I'm stealing your pic, though - it's very funny. You do encounter hardcore old skoolers from time to time in this forum - this should delight them! ☺
Hey, it's copyrighted!!!

01-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote

Hey, it's copyrighted!!!
I'll just have to pay royalties everytime I repost it.

My accountants will get in contact with yours. :-P
01-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

It beats wrestling with blurred photos or high ISO grain or inappropriate DoF! :-)
I do agree with this to some extent (and I like full manual - every photographer should be comfortable shooting this way), but my personal preference is still TAv mode (at least, for non-flash photography). It takes a second or two to set my shutter speed to an acceptable level based on the focal length I'm using or the movement of the subject, then the same to set an aperture appropriate to the subject and the effect I want to create. After that, the ISO sensitivity is what it is (even if the light changes). In *most* situations, I'd rather have to deal with noise in post-processing than get a blurred image or compromise on the optimal DOF...
01-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
What do you want the camera to do when the light gets low and shutter speed gets slow?

If you answer "increase the ISO", you can try to experiment with the different "slow, normal, fast" options in auto ISO. They do exactly what you ask for.
You don't set a fixed shutter speed limit, the limit is set in relation to the lens focal length, so as you zoom, the shutter speed limit changes.

Regards,
--Anders.
asp1880, this is exactly what I was looking for. Of course it can not be 100% accurate but very useful when needed. Thanks!

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 11:00 AM ----------

I'll just have to pay royalties everytime I repost it.

My accountants will get in contact with yours. :-P
Deal

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I do agree with this to some extent (and I like full manual - every photographer should be comfortable shooting this way), but my personal preference is still TAv mode (at least, for non-flash photography). It takes a second or two to set my shutter speed to an acceptable level based on the focal length I'm using or the movement of the subject, then the same to set an aperture appropriate to the subject and the effect I want to create. After that, the ISO sensitivity is what it is (even if the light changes). In *most* situations, I'd rather have to deal with noise in post-processing than get a blurred image or compromise on the optimal DOF...
Right, I'll experiment with this mode next time. Noice is not a big problem, I think this is a last thing you should be worried of.
01-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #23
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
TAv = manual mode with auto ISO.
You control both shutter speed and aperture, camera control ISO.
Mea culpa. Thank you for correcting. I use either hyper mode P or Tv in practice, and I obviously misunderstood TAv.

Last edited by hcc; 01-07-2016 at 06:19 AM.