Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

Shutter speed limit in aperture priority mode, possible?

HI all and happy new year folks

I know that we have this beautiful TAV mode where you control both shutter speed and aperture and camera decides ISO but I would like to know if in Aperture Priority mode is possible to limit shutter speed to safe lowest speed to prevent blur? Maybe there is more intelligent way to even consider focal length when doing so? I mostly use AV mode and images are good until the meter dicedes that the shutter speed must be low, and of course I'm forgetting it and ending up with blurry images taken with low shutter speed. Yes, I know, I want too much

01-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think that feature is available in Pentax TAv mode - I've seen others complain about this, especially since at least one of them (by my recollection) recalls some Canon DSLRs having it. I know what you're after - keep the ISO low for quality until it absolutely must rise to preserve sharpness - but I'm not sure we have it.
01-05-2016, 06:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just be done with it and shoot in Manual, Lev! :-D
01-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You can use the sport program line to achieve this, but it will require to set up the camera in a very specific way. It's kind of a hidden feature on Pentax cameras that is not the most user friendly to use or set up.

More info on how to set it up here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/232833-cool-feat...ml#post2465299

01-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

TAv is aperture priority: no control of shutter speed.

As Clackers said, you should use the M mode to control both aperture and shutter speed.

Hope that the comment will help.
01-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

As Clackers said, you should use the M mode to control both aperture and shutter speed.

TAv = manual mode with auto ISO.
You control both shutter speed and aperture, camera control ISO.
01-05-2016, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

What do you want the camera to do when the light gets low and shutter speed gets slow?

If you answer "increase the ISO", you can try to experiment with the different "slow, normal, fast" options in auto ISO. They do exactly what you ask for.
You don't set a fixed shutter speed limit, the limit is set in relation to the lens focal length, so as you zoom, the shutter speed limit changes.

Regards,
--Anders.
01-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
What do you want the camera to do when the light gets low and shutter speed gets slow?

If you answer "increase the ISO", you can try to experiment with the different "slow, normal, fast" options in auto ISO. They do exactly what you ask for.
You don't set a fixed shutter speed limit, the limit is set in relation to the lens focal length, so as you zoom, the shutter speed limit changes.

Regards,
--Anders.
I know this exists on the k3, does the k50 offer this ability to change the ISO program? I don't recall it from when I owned one.

01-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

I think you're confusing Av and TAv... TAv allows you to set the shutter speed (T) and aperture (A), based on which it sets the ISO sensitivity automatically...
01-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I don't think that feature is available in Pentax TAv mode - I've seen others complain about this, especially since at least one of them (by my recollection) recalls some Canon DSLRs having it. I know what you're after - keep the ISO low for quality until it absolutely must rise to preserve sharpness - but I'm not sure we have it.
no, in TAV mode you just preventing camera to change shutter speed, it's cool feature, but different. I wanted not to prevent but limit it to not go low speeds and rise ISO instead.

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 07:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just be done with it and shoot in Manual, Lev! :-D
Shooting in M is always fun but.... you often don't have enough time

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 07:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You can use the sport program line to achieve this, but it will require to set up the camera in a very specific way. It's kind of a hidden feature on Pentax cameras that is not the most user friendly to use or set up.

More info on how to set it up here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/232833-cool-feat...ml#post2465299
thanks I'll check it

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 07:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote

Regards,
--Anders.

Great asp1880, I'll test it tomorrow in daylight

---------- Post added 01-05-16 at 07:06 AM ----------

thanks guys
01-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think you are referring to a global setting (don't know if it is in Nikon) where you set the minimum shutter speed to prevent blur images. There is no global setting in Pentax for that. The closest one to effectively change the behaviour of the camera to prefer faster speed is to change the Program Line to "Sport" - here I wish you can set the minimum shutter speed. I hope they can implement changes to this setting in the future firmware.

Many have suggested that you could use TAv, but it is not the same as Av mode. You want the ability to set the aperture, you don't care about the shutter speed as long as it is at a minimum, and don't care about your ISO as long as it is lowest possible. If you use TAv mode in this case, the shutter speed could be too low that would cause the ISO to be out of the range (below 100).
01-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
Lev

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think you are referring to a global setting (don't know if it is in Nikon) where you set the minimum shutter speed to prevent blur images. There is no global setting in Pentax for that. The closest one to effectively change the behaviour of the camera to prefer faster speed is to change the Program Line to "Sport" - here I wish you can set the minimum shutter speed. I hope they can implement changes to this setting in the future firmware.

Many have suggested that you could use TAv, but it is not the same as Av mode. You want the ability to set the aperture, you don't care about the shutter speed as long as it is at a minimum, and don't care about your ISO as long as it is lowest possible. If you use TAv mode in this case, the shutter speed could be too low that would cause the ISO to be out of the range (below 100).
I think it would be great to implement this feature in Pentax too, but as was already mentioned above, setting minimum shutter speed alone is not enough for zooms as this setting will vary depending on focal length. Some indication that you are going too low on shutter speed also would be great.

You are right about TAV, it's different, but it's cool, I like it.
01-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote

Shooting in M is always fun but.... you often don't have enough time
Only the first shot in a sequence is slower, Lev.

And you can pre-expose by pointing at some concrete or similar light neutral object, and this is important - moving the needle to where you want by the settings you're happy with. Even works with flash photography for getting your ambient right.

Then you're free to snap away, riding any one of the dials for variation between shots.

It beats wrestling with blurred photos or high ISO grain or inappropriate DoF! :-)
01-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Only the first shot in a sequence is slower, Lev.
The way I shoot that's significant. I'm more likely to put mine in Av mode and then ride the exposure adjustment if I'm close to the right results but need a small adjustment in exposure. I also am likely at that point to adjust the ISO and the compensation to keep shutter speed high enough - or switch to manual for that fringe shot. But overall I find Av to be the least annoying setting to begin from.;
01-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But overall I find Av to be the least annoying setting to begin from.;
Yeah, that's my usual mode for static pics, TAv for shots involving people.

But on FF it's Pentax lenses on a Sony body, so it's full manual, baby! :-)