Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
I think if I am photographing negatives I will be pretty selective as to which images I use. Most of the negatives I want to scan are black and white, though I do have some color. I doubt I'll be buying a scanner anytime soon, so if I can't make it work with the camera I will have to send them out. Unless, that it, there is a way to use a regular flatbed scanner?
I have used the Epson V700 to scan hundreds of negatives to tiff files for a digital reference.and to edit if they scanned well. Epson offers V600 and V800 versions of scanners also. If you have 4x6's or 3.5 x 5's of pictures sometimes scanning them can give you good images to edit/modify also.

I have had my V700 for several years. It cost about 700 dollars or so. I had some negatives sent out to be scanned prior to that, and the scans were not usable. There are film scanners to choose from that may give you better results than a send out process. If you ever resort to send out, I recommend that you check the pricing closely and get a minimum amount of scans done to test the scan quality and also not end up paying for degraded scans unnecessarily.

Prices on some of the newer scanners may be less expensive than what I paid. There are also "film to digital converters" that can be found for example on Amazon for about 100 dollars and less that have four and five star ratings. I had opted for the scanner due to the large amount of negatives I had.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-10-2016 at 08:52 PM.
01-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Most of the negatives I want to scan are black and white, though I do have some color. I doubt I'll be buying a scanner anytime soon, so if I can't make it work with the camera I will have to send them out. Unless, that it, there is a way to use a regular flatbed scanner?
Transparencies (aka E6 or slides) as well as b&w are simplest to DSLR scan compared to color negatives but it does require a setup. A flatbed scanner with film scanning option is much simpler to operate and likely requires the least investment in time and money.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
16 to 18 MP is perfect resolution for camera-scanning 35mm film. Going beyond that doesn't add much value. You're just photographing film grain at that point.
To be sure, images on film are created by the grain structure of film.
Also to be sure, 16 to 18MP from a DSLR is not a true representation of 16 to 18MP of real data due to the filtering in the sensor.

I know you are just being very simplistic and I have seen some of your good results.

Last edited by LesDMess; 01-15-2016 at 05:29 PM.