Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Is Live View supposed to look funny? K-50 newbie

Ok, I've searched this forum and couldn't find a similar post. This is my first time with a DSLR (have used compact in the past). When I look though live view the scene - whatever I'm looking at - appears like it's trying to tell me something about exposure, perhaps? It shows up in reds and yellows, pixelated. I see a light bar running down the right hand side of the screen and it adjusts from red or yellow blocks to green. I've read the entire manual and have seen no mention of this imaging. If it's supposed to be like this, can I turn it off? Thanks all.

01-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you are writing about the electronic level. You can turn it off in the menu (3rd page on K-30)
Later it will become a handy tool.
01-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I think you are writing about the electronic level. You can turn it off in the menu (3rd page on K-30)
Later it will become a handy tool.
No, I have the electronic level on and I like that. This is all over the screen. For example a white table will show up with red all over it. I can't think of how to describe it better other than it's very digital looking.
01-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you take a picture of the screen?
What do the photos look like in photo review? Normal?

01-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In Live View settings there is an option for Bright/Dark Area.
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

This must be the Bright/Dark Area setting (in the Live View submenu). It shows the underexposed and the overexposed portions of the image.
01-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Difficult to take a picture, it appears to be buzzing (?). Photos look normal in review. Must be something from this list... (didn't show up)
I'll try the bright/dark area setting. Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 01:10 PM ----------

That was it! Perfect fix. Thanks boriscleto and markovo

Last edited by Tracy68; 01-07-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: updated
01-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view will atempt to show you areas of the image that will end up over-exposed. The default is to show this in red. A white label in an overall darker scene would be a typical situation where this could occur. The camera is trying to set an exposure that balances out as best it can the overall mix of light and dark components of the image. It is beyond a camera to take in more than a certain diference between the brighest and darkest elements (the variation of lighting levels it can cope with is called the camera's dynamic range). It will warn in red the elements (if any) that will end up over-exposed with the exposure it has selected. You then have the option to (1) ignore the red over-exposure warning if those elements of the photo are minor or pure white anyway, or (2) use some negative exposure compensation to darken the overall image and protect the brightest elements from being over-exposured. It uses colours to also warn of total blacks where it will be unable to capture any detail. As with the red warnings, it is then up to the photographer's judgement whether to ignore the warning or adjust the exposure.

Not sure what your light bar to the right is as I don't own a K-50. It may be a vertical level indicator ie the camera is being pointed up or down from a horizontal position. If so there should be another bar at the bottom that shows tilt from left to right (great for avoiding crooked horizons).
01-08-2016, 04:35 AM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the explanation . I've turned it off for now.
01-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Bright/Dark Area setting shows areas that are so over- or under-exposed that there are no data at all in those areas. In other words, attempts to retrieve details in those areas via post-processing the RAW image will be futile because those areas are either entirely lacking in light (black) or containing nothing but pure white.
01-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The "blinkies" as they are called. are one of your best friends when it comes to getting exposure correct. You will want to learn how to use them.