Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

blurred pictures

I have a Pentax K20D Have taken 1000's of pics through the years with no problems The last few months all pics seem to double image and blurr lights Any ideas. New to this forum will try to attach pic

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very low shutter speed.....too small an aperture....too low an ISO....SR? was it on?

Could have been any of these ...or all of them. I shot the K20D for a long time, great camera, it will get the shot if you use the right settings. Try a little experimenting and you will get it right!
Regards!

BTW
- Welcome to PForums....a great site for posting, fun, and learning. Become a regular and you will learn all you ever need to know from friendly people willing to help with most any problem.
01-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think what this shows is a lot of camera movement while the shutter is open, but most of the image is getting exposed by the flash. The flash burst is very brief, 1/1000 sec. or faster. Parts of the subject that were not well-lit were lit by the flash, so they don't show the same movement as the tree lights. Those tree light highlights show a lot of camera movement, probably more than an SR system malfunction. Usually you know if you were moving the camera that much.

Focus is another problem. EXIF doesn't say what the focus mode is. AF-S should keep the shutter from firing until focus is locked. If you used AF-S, your camera has no idea what focus is. In AF-C or MF, focus could be anything and the shutter will fire. So maybe the focus mode got switched unexpectedly.
01-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Diane Bid Quote
I have a Pentax K20D Have taken 1000's of pics through the years with no problems The last few months all pics seem to double image and blurr lights Any ideas. New to this forum will try to attach pic
Hard to say in this situation if its user error or the camera. The camera obviously isn't focused, not sure if you gave it time to do its thing. But there is also the doubling problem, which looks like bad camera shake on a long exposure. 1/60th isn't too long of an exposure. I wouldn't expect to see this kind of blurring if you were holding the camera fairly still.

What does the camera do outside during the day with similar Av (f/8) settings?

01-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could you have inadvertently changed the settings somehow ? I also had a K20, damn good camera. from memory there is a reset (to factory default settings) function, perhaps give that a go.
01-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

EXIF info shows 1\60, f8, and 1600 ISO

I'd say that 1/60 isn't awfully slow but because you're stopped down a bit there isn't enough light coming in despite your ISO settings. Open up the aperture some more. Which lens did you use?

Try doing the same shot with the same settings but on a stable fixture, such as a tripod. I suspect it's a little camera shake as well.
01-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too much eggnog (with brandy) - just a guess, but what a fun way to make blurry photos:-)

01-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Look at the difference between the baubles illuminated by flash, Diane, and the ambient trails on the Christmas lights.

You seriously and smoothly pushed the camera to the top right while the shutter was open.
01-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The last few months all pics seem to double image and blurr lights
What about photos taken in good daylight?
The the sample photo it looks like slow shutter and handshake might be the cause of the blur. But it would need a lot of shake, like when the shutter button was pressed the camera was suddenly tilted.
Right now all the advice I can give is to watch out how you press the shutter button and hold the camera, and take photos with faster shutter speed, at least 1/125.

It does sound odd that the camera was working well and then this happened. Could also be caused by damaged shutter and mirror mechanism, I guess. User error is the first thing we check in threads like these, because often it is the easiest thing to check and often it solves the problem. But it might be a technical problem
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your flash seems to be set on second or rear curtain sync. Check in your menu if you had inadvertently set it to that. However, at 1.60", you'd have to be have been moving quite a bit to cause that much streaking at 40mm and on manual focus for it to be that far off the mark in sharpness.

Does this happen when you don't use flash?
01-10-2016, 06:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What about photos taken in good daylight?
The the sample photo it looks like slow shutter and handshake might be the cause of the blur. But it would need a lot of shake, like when the shutter button was pressed the camera was suddenly tilted.
Right now all the advice I can give is to watch out how you press the shutter button and hold the camera, and take photos with faster shutter speed, at least 1/125.

It does sound odd that the camera was working well and then this happened. Could also be caused by damaged shutter and mirror mechanism, I guess. User error is the first thing we check in threads like these, because often it is the easiest thing to check and often it solves the problem. But it might be a technical problem
I agree, without getting into details, taking some pictures outdoors in good daylight should tell you if you have a camera problem or not.
01-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you

We finally seem to be getting some good pics. Bad pics only before--inside, outside, flash, no flash I am a pure amateur at this and nothing has changed in the way I use the camera. I knew it wasn't movement or anything along those lines I always use it in auto--so I thought camera would do what it had to My husband opened the camera and blew off dust He then lowered the iso a fraction. Now the double images and blurring are gone Thank you everyone
01-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My husband opened the camera and blew off dust He then lowered the iso a fraction.
Dust or high ISO didn't cause the motion in the picture you posted, Diane, but I'm glad you're better off now. ☺
01-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Dust or high ISO didn't cause the motion in the picture you posted
Could a dirty/poor connection between lens and camera result in erratic behaviour by the camera and erroneous EXIF information?
01-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe, Rglasel, but there are motion trails on those Xmas lights. And straight ones, at that.

There is a case for user error as well, as we see many times in this forum.