Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What's the best way to quickly clean lenses?

I'm going to assume that the little optical cloth I get at the opticians office is appropriate to use on my lenses. Should I invest in some type of liquid cleaner and blower/brush? Correct me if my first assumption is wrong. Thanks!

01-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For eg smudges, fingerprints, a lenspen is convenient and effective and has a brush as well.
01-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer...

kinda depends on what you are cleaning off the lens... rocket blower and a microfiber cloth are usually the ticket for me..
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

First rule of lens cleaning: don't.

If that doesn't work, then use a rocket blower first and only then a light brushing with a microfiber cloth. Use of liquid cleaners should be reserved only for situations where you really need it, like salt water spray or dog snot.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I cleaned a lens. Lens cap on all the time, take it off, take the shot, put it back on.

01-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Environmental oily aerosols do stick to lenses and attract dust particles. Modern coatings are harder than older coatings, but they're still susceptible to micro scratching so gentle is the key.

When absolutely necessary, like once every couple years: Residual Oil Remover, one drop or two on crumpled Lens Cleaning Tissue (microfiber cloths are a terrible surface cleaner. They get dirt particles embedded almost immediately) gently circling out from the center. Repeat with a fresh dry tissue.

The rest of the time a GOOD blower and mohair brush will do the trick.
01-10-2016, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

On the other hand, if you do have dog snot on the lens, and have nothing with you, I remind you that war correspondents using Spotmatics and Nikon F's used spit and a shirt tail to get most of the crud off. The more sensitive people used their silk tie instead of the lowly cotton shirt tail.
01-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Actually I'm pretty sure I'll have to deal with dog snot! She has to smell everything! Thanks for the tips so far.
01-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The more sensitive people used their silk tie instead ...
You're pointing to the original British Gentlemen??

lowlandspentax

01-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tracy68 Quote
I'm going to assume that the little optical cloth I get at the opticians office is appropriate to use on my lenses. Should I invest in some type of liquid cleaner and blower/brush? Correct me if my first assumption is wrong. Thanks!
wiping dust particles around with a dry cloth is like using sandpaper on the glass.

i use a rocket blower, ror, and kimwipes... ror floats the particles, and removes any oily residue.

here is another take on it, these guys like lens pens also: LensRentals.com - The Lensrentals Lens Cleaning Methods