Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Okay, let this be a lesson to me. No leaving the leader out any more. If the leader's left out, it's going straight from the camera into the tank, via the darkbag.

The really sucky part is that just about all the films these days come in clear plastic cannisters, so you can't even protect it from stray light when it's sitting around waiting any more.
With 120 film or if I'm shooting Fujifilm with the clear canisters, I'll always bring aluminum foil to wrap it in to protect from light as well as some heat.

01-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I'm still not 100% convinced it is a film cassette leak through the light trap. The unprocessed film is going to be fairly opaque until it is run through the blix. Each progressive fogged area should get considerably lighter. The only thing that would do that is something like x-rays. The feathering on one edge could be from the curvature of that end of the surface. Film put into the cargo bay of airplanes, like all cargo, is subject to inspection with high dose CT scanners. As film becomes more uncommon, the way it is shipped and handled is no longer sacred and the only other explanation is a camera light leak. I kind of ruled that out because of the consistency.

My vote is still a security radiation exposure in shipping. I've seen this in random places on random rolls from a Pro-pack of 5.

Last edited by Alex645; 01-11-2016 at 04:52 PM.
01-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh well, it was a pretty good guess.
01-16-2016, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OMG I AM SO FREAKING EMBARRASSED.

"Light seals? We don't need no light seals."

Yep. TWO BLOODY ROLLS OF FILM, and I did not even notice. Either this model was never fitted with them (and relied on overlapping grooves between body and back cover) or they are long since DEAD AND GONE. The miracle is that the film wasn't worse than it is.

*smashes own head against granite benchtop*

Oh well, at least I know which camera is going for a CLA next. This thing came to me as part of a camera plus four lens plus bunch-of-filters set, and when I consider what I paid for the lot, the cost of a refurbishment and seal replacement still makes this an affordable camera. And it stops me from succumbing to that part of my gear-buying addiction that demands a K-series body, because for all intents and purposes this is one.

01-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Thank you for the conclusion! Sometimes I think when people sell their used FSLRs and notice deteriorating light seals, for cosmetic reasons, they completely 'clean it up' so the buyer won't see its condition.....or anything!

I can't believe the XR-1 didn't need or have light seals. But unless the body took an enormous impact that distorted the back door, it must be what you've concluded that they are just not there. Again, the best way to confirm this is to load a roll in subdued light, seal the back with black camera tape on the outside, then get that developed.

Now that Ricoh owns Pentax, I think the value and interest in old Ricoh film cameras will rise.
12-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update after an age:

I have shot a roll in this troublesome camera with the top and the bottom seams of the film door taped up, and I shall send it off for processing to see what I get. It really is a very nice piece of equipment, and although the Rikenon XR lenses are a bit frustrating in lacking half stops (except the fifty, which is 1.7 wide open then jumps to 2.8), it does simplify choices for the beginner.
12-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Another way to test with your existing film... You said it was on most frames - is there a pattern to "most"?

If the fogged film is at the end of the roll, it's probably a canister leak.

If it is worse when the camera was outside, it's probably a camera seal issue.

If it's consistent in position on the frame and magnitude throughout the roll, it's hard to do in the camera unless all of your photos were in similar lighting (and it looks like they weren't) or it's a shutter thing, which has been ruled out, I think... And even then, to get the same magnitude would require the same shutter speed...

I hope that helps...

-Eric
12-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
From recollection, it seems worse when taking pictures outside.

It repeated itself on a roll of Tmax 400, so I don't think it's a cannister issue.

I have finished the roll shot with the gaps taped up, and we will see how that goes. If it works, I will do that from now on whenever I use this camera (I think the back door is bowed out at the base).

01-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Denouement and resolution - I got the film back tonight that I'd run through the camera with the back door taped up top and bottom.

No telltale leak.

I had wondered whether it might have been the aperture viewing window, but no - taping the film door up made the problem go away.

I wonder if Eric would be willing to handle an XR-1 from the POV of repairing that simple physical issue - sadly, the repairer to whom I first entrusted the problem did not seem to make a difference. As a last resort, I can always drag the tape out again whenever I want to use that camera. The price of a repair by Eric will pay for a lot of tape...
01-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Denouement and resolution - I got the film back tonight that I'd run through the camera with the back door taped up top and bottom.

No telltale leak.

I had wondered whether it might have been the aperture viewing window, but no - taping the film door up made the problem go away.

I wonder if Eric would be willing to handle an XR-1 from the POV of repairing that simple physical issue - sadly, the repairer to whom I first entrusted the problem did not seem to make a difference. As a last resort, I can always drag the tape out again whenever I want to use that camera. The price of a repair by Eric will pay for a lot of tape...
Glad youʻve identified the problem. Once upon a time when "Hollywood" was shooting 35mm film for everything, light leaks on film magazines were so common, and the results so devastating, that it was, and still is, common practice to use black camera tape to seal all magazines every time a new 400 or 1000 foot roll was replaced and mounted onto the camera.

I knew a 2nd 2nd Assistant Cameraman that had worked on A films all over the world and I asked him to tell me about what he had seen. He glumly said that all that he saw was the inside of the camera truck, removing camera tape, transferring exposed film into film canisters, sealing and labeling it, putting new film into the magazine, and sealing that with camera tape for the 2nd Assistant to carry to the set. So what was the highlight of his day? Driving exposed film to the airport to be shipped to the lab and picking up fresh stock, then driving back to the film set.

What was his aspiration? To become a 2nd Assistant Cameraman (aka Clapper Loader). Hope he got promoted by now because I doubt there is an equivalent on film sets shooting digital with RED cameras.
01-13-2017, 03:15 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The role of the clapper loader in a few years' time will be to push terabyte drives into the camera the way we put 64GB SD cards into our DSLRs.