Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 04:45 AM   #1

problem with zoom on lense smc 100-300 1:4.5 - 5.6 powerzoom

hello all

today i got my smc 100-300 power zoom lens.
it was shipped to me from japan and was bought used.

the lens work good except for the zoom feature. it does not
zoom at all.

the lens has a power-zoom button with "a","p" and "as" setting.

please help me to understand how do i zoom ?
am i doing anything wrong ?

thanks for any help !

01-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What camera are you using? Not all cameras support the power zoom, you need the KAF2 mount with power contacts inside the mirror box

Also to zoom the lens you turn the zoom ring and it should electrically zoom in or out on the direction you turn the ring. You might need to pull back on the ring to engage the power zoom as opposed to the manual zoom.

Check Ricoh-Pentax website for a manual on the lens.

The buttons and switches on the side of the lens are for zoom features to be sued when shooting, these a not supported by other than the Pentax PZ series bodies
01-12-2016, 05:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the help

i found the zoom feature. it is negated when the zoom ring is moved up toward the far side of the lens to enable the super-zoom feature.
i just moved the zoom ring back and voalla ! i have zoom !
what i need to find now is how to use the super-zoom feature

---------- Post added 01-12-16 at 05:24 AM ----------

can you link me to a manual for this lens or for the power-zoom feature ? all i can find are manual regarding the whole
fa family ...
01-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You can find a discussion of these features in an 8 years old thread of another forum. I hope linking to it is allowed.
There is also some basic information.
Function of P-A-AS in Pentax Power Zoom lenses - Photo.net Pentax Forum

For several years, I had a Z-10 (Pz-10 in the US) with the 28-80 powerzoom as an emergency in the boot of my car.
With this body, only the basic PZ function was available not all PZ functons were supported.
As far as I know, the Z1(Pz1) / Z1p(Pz1p) and the MZ-S did support the extras.

EDIT:
mosphotos lists which Pentax bodies support which PZ settings. The K-3 is not included yet, and it seems the list includes errors. My Z10 did not support all 5 features.
The functions themselves are just listed, not explained in detail. But this you can better get from the above link.
Pentax Lens Power Zoom

Last edited by RKKS08; 01-12-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Info and additional link added
01-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 works for baseline power zooming.
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by shark1 Quote
hello all

today i got my smc 100-300 power zoom lens.
it was shipped to me from japan and was bought used.

the lens work good except for the zoom feature. it does not
zoom at all.

the lens has a power-zoom button with "a","p" and "as" setting.

please help me to understand how do i zoom ?
am i doing anything wrong ?

thanks for any help !
When the zoom ring is set to power zoom, turning it to either side will activate the zoom motor. You're still controlling the zoom manually at this point.

Slide the ring back to zoom mechanically, like a traditional lens. The power zoom text should be covered.

Entry-level and early Pentax DSLRs don't support power zoom, so you have to zoom mechanically with those. You can see which ones do support power zoom here:

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-S1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

If you're familiar with Pentax models, every flagship since the K10D has power zoom contacts.

The only other power zoom feature supported by DSLRs is zoom retraction. The remaining features described in the mosphotos link only work with a select few film bodies.