Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarMan Quote
I understand what you are talking about, i have a good visual imagination

I just did it, as the least complicated solution, will try this weekend at the event, if it will not help signifiantly, will try to make something to cover dials!
I also thought of something, you have to be a McGyver for this. Take it apart and see if you can tighten the screw to the wheel that lets it turn. Also see if you can increase the friction part that rubs on the wheel. *shrug* just a thought.

01-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about a simple rubber band covering the control wheels vertically. The band would go around the entire camera vertically.
01-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What about a simple rubber band covering the control wheels vertically
It will cover the shutter button as well!
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Take it apart and see if you can tighten the screw to the wheel
So I need to open the camera body? Are you sure there are some screws for it? I think there must be some solder, clips and glue. I tried opening mouse wheel, there is no option to change friction
01-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So I need to open the camera body? Are you sure there are some screws for it? I think there must be some solder, clips and glue. I tried opening mouse wheel, there is no option to change friction
You might have to get creative. If you cut a small piece of cardboard or plastic and insert it beside the wheel and find a way to hold it there, you have to be a junior engineer/McGuyver. Not for everyone.

01-14-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will cover the shutter button as well!
I don't see how that would hamper use. As long as the pressure on the shutter is not enough to trigger the half press mode you should be able to press down to get it to fire but leave it alone at other times.

As for a shield another method would be to find a material that was thin enough to slip into the slot above and below the wheel say polystyrene from a discarded package - and bend a small u shaped piece - cut a slot in it for the place where the wheel is supported and it might just fit in there reasonably well. It could damage or diminish water seals depending on how they are implemented in that area of the body however.

I still think a wired remote is a reasonsble answer - it keeps your fingers away from the shutter/wheel area. You can tape it to the side of the tripod or put it in your pocket or clip to your pants/shirt etc.
01-18-2016, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Dear friends! After shooting event this weekend I must say remapping wheels solved the problem greatly, but not fully. about 3% of shoots are still shifted (it was about 10% before), Using AE-L Saved ~80% of these 3%, not bad. Somewhy AE-L was reset from time to time (SD card changing? I failed to notice this moment) Remaining under/over-exposed images could be recovered manually (I used catalog filters to find them), so I think I can stop here for now, without any physical changes to the body.