Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #1

locking controls?

Hello, friends!

Is anybody facing the same problem: I often shoot in constant light conditions (studio shoots or concerts/sport events) and use M mode. But when shooting, I suddenly touch wheel dials. And I have tens of under- or overexposed images before I notice the fault. Of cource, if it's not more than 1/2-1 EV, it's recoverable when working with RAWs, but it's not very good for batch processing, and sometimes i need fast results (JPEGs) for press, for example, and it becomes a real problem.

So, the question is: how to lock the wheels?
The gear is: K3&K5

01-12-2016, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no option to lock the controls, unfortunately. You can change the e-dial mappings, but that wouldn't be of much help in this scenario. I suppose the best long-term remedy would be to get in the habit of keeping your fingers away from the dials except when adjustments are needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's no option to lock the controls, unfortunately. You can change the e-dial mappings, but that wouldn't be of much help in this scenario. I suppose the best long-term remedy would be to get in the habit of keeping your fingers away from the dials except when adjustments are needed.
Adam, thank you for your reply! it's possible for rear wheel, but the front wheel is very close to shutter button
01-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #4

Perhaps a remote shutter release where appropriate?

01-13-2016, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can use AE-lock in M-mode to avoid over/under exposure.
It will still let you adjust aperture and shutter speed, but exposure value will be locked, so both shutter speed and aperture changes when adjusting one of them to keep the same exposure value.
01-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You can use AE-lock in M-mode to avoid over/under exposure.
It will still let you adjust aperture and shutter speed, but exposure value will be locked, so both shutter speed and aperture changes when adjusting one of them to keep the same exposure value.
Fogel70, thanx for idea, a nice semi-solution, at least not to loose everything )
01-13-2016, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might also depend on the lens.

You could if the lens permits, take the lens out of A mode, leaving the camera up in true manual. Since you shoot inconstant light no need to change aperture, and if you can disable one wheel then you should be ok.

The other option is to set your exposure compensation for what ever over or under exposure you are routinely using in manual, and then to put the camera in either Tav AV or Tv mode to set what you want for shutter aperture aperture or both and just let the camera do the work.

Manual mode is , for me, when you have time , the camera has TTL metering for a reason

01-13-2016, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
if i was doing that, I would just take a sticky tape, something like electrical tape, and tape the dials...
01-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wired remote. Or flu card.
01-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can you show a photo of you holding the camera ?
Maybe you are holding it awkwardly or incorrect.
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanx for all replies!
I can hardly imagine using remote, wired or wireless or flucard tethering, as I need to reframe, rotate camera, and to move myself from time to time. It's good solution for studio, but not the best for sport events.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You could if the lens permits, take the lens out of A mode, leaving the camera up in true manual.
you gave me an idea (with the help of other users ideas) to remap dials so the aperture dial will be in front and exposure in back, so with manual aperture exposure dial will be in safer position! But not all my lens allow it ((
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Can you show a photo of you holding the camera ?
Maybe you are holding it awkwardly or incorrect.
Sorry, I dont But most of the errors are caused by me changing the camera (i use one tele and one normal lens with k3 and k5 simultaniously) or some other movements, not during the continous shooting, so I think i hold camera in the right way ))
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
if i was doing that, I would just take a sticky tape, something like electrical tape, and tape the dials...
One of the best ideas so far )))

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
put the camera in either Tav AV or Tv mode to set what you want for shutter aperture aperture or both and just let the camera do the work.
Unfortunately, there are cases when it does not work. For example, when the person of interest is constantly illuminated, but background changes.
01-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarMan Quote
Of cource, if it's not more than 1/2-1 EV,
If you're using 1/2 EV steps, you might change it to 1/3 EV steps. This way each accidental click is slightly less damaging.
01-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than sticky tape - perhaps you could build a shield that you can place over the top of the camera to keep fingers away from the dials. You could use leather or plexiglass that you bend in a U shape and drill out where needed. Adding a couple of small patches of velcro to the front of the camera body would give you an anchor point. It's easier to visualize with paper and camera in hand. Imagine a device that was like a U or a [ where one end is longer and has velcro and goes onto velcro on the front of the camera. The shape is a little more complex, but that should help understand the idea.
01-13-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my K-5 last month and am getting used to it. I too have bumped the front dial when I didn't mean to. The K110D didn't have a dial there.
All I can think to do is to reassign that wheel to something that won't affect the shot and to just be more careful to press only the shutter. Practice should help. Fingers can learn a lot if you just practice. Use the green button more, that should help. Instant correct exposure.
Good luck!
01-13-2016, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Rather than sticky tape - perhaps you could build a shield
I understand what you are talking about, i have a good visual imagination
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
All I can think to do is to reassign that wheel
I just did it, as the least complicated solution, will try this weekend at the event, if it will not help signifiantly, will try to make something to cover dials!