Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kirk Quote
I do format with my camera everytime... my Canon had two options: regular format and low level format... my K-3 II does not... I'm assuming it is a regular format
Almost certainly.

01-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have had times where my Pentax camera(s) did not turn off with the switch, but it was only in isolated incidences. My K-20D did it, and all I did if it happened was turn the power switch off, take the battery out, place the battery back in if I needed to and there was not a problem or loss of data. I have a K-3II also and if I have/had that happen and it was not ongoing I would just regard it as due to any number of factors, for example cold, or low battery among many other things. With all of the things that my camera does, I would not be concerned with something like that which is isolated. With low power, a function may perform somewhat slower, that is why switching to a fully charged battery really helps and assures top performance.

If it happens every, or every other time on your camera with a fully charged battery, you may want to contact Pentax customer service (800-877-0155) and ask them what to do.

As for formatting your SD cards, after you have reassured yourself that you do not have any image data on the card that you need to retain, format the card in the camera you are going to use it in for the most dependable performance.

I have three batteries that I use with my K-3II. They are all Pentax originals. They provide power which lasts. Don't be fooled by inexpensive look alikes that fade within a very short period of use.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your K-3II as much as I do mine.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-14-2016 at 08:36 AM.
01-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have had times where my Pentax camera(s) did not turn off with the switch, but it was only in isolated incidences. My K-20D did it, and all I did if it happened was turn the power switch off, take the battery out, place the battery back in if I needed to and there was not a problem or loss of data. I have a K-3II also and if I have/had that happen and it was not ongoing I would just regard it as due to any number of factors, for example cold, or low battery among many other things. With all of the things that my camera does, I would not be concerned with something like that which is isolated. With low power, a function may perform somewhat slower, that is why switching to a fully charged battery really helps and assures top performance.

If it happens every, or every other time on your camera with a fully charged battery, you may want to contact Pentax customer service (800-877-0155) and ask them what to do.

As for formatting your SD cards, after you have reassured yourself that you do not have any image data on the card that you need to retain, format the card in the camera you are going to use it in for the most dependable performance.

I have three batteries that I use with my K-3II. They are all Pentax originals. They provide power which lasts. Don't be fooled by inexpensive look alikes that fade within a very short period of use.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your K-3II as much as I do mine.
Thanks for your thoughts and all the info... I've had no problems since I put the fully charged battery in. I have two Pentax batteries, which may not be enough. They don't last as long as the batteries in my Canon.
01-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

With the K-3II, I have noticed that if the GPS/Astrotracer feature(s) are on, that the battery power is used quite faster than with it off. Two batteries is really good, and a lot of days I can get by with one or two (usually two), but the third one is really nice to have for a lot of shooting or cool/cold weather. I am happy to hear that you are not having a problem since you have been using a charged up battery. I may have had a similar situation to yours when my battery was at lower power also, but nothing consistently ongoing, and my K-3II was out of the recall range. So, it looks like you are in good shape. I am curious as to if you purchased the two year extended Ricoh/Pentax Warranty for dslrs, which only cost about twenty dollars the last time I bought it, which I wanted to mention.

Anyway, as I said, I am glad you are set up alright. My K-3II has really shown me superior/dependable performance. I really find it to be an excellent camera, and it has a lot of capability.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-14-2016 at 10:32 AM.
01-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
With the K-3II, I have noticed that if the GPS/Astrotracer feature(s) are on, that the battery power is used quite faster than with it off. Two batteries is really good, and a lot of days I can get by with one or two (usually two), but the third one is really nice to have for a lot of shooting or cool/cold weather. I am happy to hear that you are not having a problem since you have been using a charged up battery. I may have had a similar situation to yours when my battery was at lower power also, but nothing consistently ongoing, and my K-3II was out of the recall range. So, it looks like you are in good shape. I am curious as to if you purchased the two year extended Ricoh/Pentax Warranty for dslrs, which only cost about twenty dollars the last time I bought it, which I wanted to mention.

Anyway, as I said, I am glad you are set up alright. My K-3II has really shown me superior/dependable performance. I really find it to be an excellent camera, and it has a lot of capability.
I did not get the extended warranty... of all the cameras I have ever owned since the 1960's, I have never had to get one repaired. I bought the K3II mainly because it seemed pretty bullet proof. Metal body.... weather resistant, etc. Hope I don't regret not getting the extended warranty. My last camera was a Canon T3i and I was always worried about it breaking 'cause it's plastic... LOL
01-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for your thoughts and all the info... I've had no problems since I put the fully charged battery in. I have two Pentax batteries, which may not be enough. They don't last as long as the batteries in my Canon.
They don't last as long as the ones in my k5 lls either. It does help to have a battery grip.
01-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I did not get the extended warranty... of all the cameras I have ever owned since the 1960's, I have never had to get one repaired. I bought the K3II mainly because it seemed pretty bullet proof. Metal body.... weather resistant, etc. Hope I don't regret not getting the extended warranty. My last camera was a Canon T3i and I was always worried about it breaking 'cause it's plastic... LOL

You are fine. I have never had a serious problem with a Pentax DSLR and I have had 5. They are very well built, weather sealed, and have a really good control set (menu/operation options). If next time you buy another Pentax DSLR, if you want to purchase the extended warranty which is only about $18 now, you will want to purchase it within 30 days of when you purchase your camera. It is very inexpensive and just gives you more warranty. Of course, if someone takes good care of a camera and is not abusive in the first place then it is going to last well beyond 3 years anyway. This is what it looks like at Adorama in case you need to reference it in the future: http://www.adorama.com/IPXEWPR.html?hotlink=t&svfor=5m
I usually buy mine the same day or within a few days of when I buy a camera.

Your K-3II is not going to disappoint you. You have a lot to look forward to. Happy shooting!!
01-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I've had my original K-3 go flaky a few times over the past couple of years and almost always with a very low battery and/or when it's cold. I'm pretty sure the battery was the issue and it's been otherwise very dependable so I don't worry about it and try not to run the battery all the way down, especially not in the cold.