Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 06:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II power off problem

I have been a photography enthusiast for over 50 years but I am brand new to Pentax. I sold all of my Canon equipment and got a new K-3 II. I had not used it for a couple of weeks and when I went out to shoot, I noticed the battery indicator showed very low. The camera would not turn off. I had to take the battery out to power it down. I put a fresh battery in and the problem went away. My camera has a serial number that supposedly is not effected by the K-3 II power off issue. Could this have been caused by having a low battery in the camera for a couple of weeks of non use?

01-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K3II had a problem with early units shipped that did not turn off properly.

I can't find the reference on this site right now but here is an offsite reference: Ricoh offers fix for Pentax K3 II power-off problem
01-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No! Really? You are really unlucky, Pentax camera are no less reliable than Canon and Nikon, I'd suggest you forward your problem to "normhead", "monochrome" and "jatrax", see how they solve your issue.
01-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kirk Quote
I have been a photography enthusiast for over 50 years but I am brand new to Pentax. I sold all of my Canon equipment and got a new K-3 II. I had not used it for a couple of weeks and when I went out to shoot, I noticed the battery indicator showed very low. The camera would not turn off. I had to take the battery out to power it down. I put a fresh battery in and the problem went away. My camera has a serial number that supposedly is not effected by the K-3 II power off issue. Could this have been caused by having a low battery in the camera for a couple of weeks of non use?
What's the serial number?

01-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm at work. I'll get the serial number when I get home. The camera is only a couple of months old & the number is quite a bit higher than what's in all the articles I've read... Thanks for your help 😊
01-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like the camera just froze. This isn't the K-3 II specific issue unless the camera consistently refuses to power down via the on/off switch (to test this you'll want to ensure your battery is charged).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Froze ?? Why ?? Would a low battery cause this?? Here's the time line: I got my camera out and turned it on. I took five pictures. When I tried to turn it off it would not. That's when I noticed the battery indicator. I put in a fully charged battery (I have a spare) and it turns off and on just fine now. Of the 5 pictures I took, there was only one on the card. I don't understand how a low battery would keep the camera from turning off or keep the picture files from getting to the card, when all indications showed the pictures were taken. I do not use auto replay and I never have. I hope I don't regret buying this camera....The serial number is 6216440
01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Call customer service of there is a concern. It may be a problem with the battery. I had that happen with my k50.

01-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have a mini video camera and when I first bought it, it wouldn't turn off. The solution was to format the memory card properly using SD formatter. I guess it couldn't finish writing the file, so it would just hang.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

You mentioned that the files didn't write to the card, so my first suspect in this investigation would be the memory card.
01-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Froze ?? Why ?? Would a low battery cause this??
Yes. Low battery voltage (and/or unusually high drain) increases the likelihood of random freezes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I have a mini video camera and when I first bought it, it wouldn't turn off. The solution was to format the memory card properly using SD formatter. I guess it couldn't finish writing the file, so it would just hang.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

You mentioned that the files didn't write to the card, so my first suspect in this investigation would be the memory card.
I format my cards with my camera.... is there a better way than that ?
01-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I format my cards with my camera.... is there a better way than that ?
Not unless you want to do a Low Level format and map any bad sectors on your card. If so then SD Format software is the best choice for that.
01-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Not unless you want to do a Low Level format and map any bad sectors on your card. If so then SD Format software is the best choice for that.
I don't see a download for windows 10
01-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You should be able to format with your camera. I format every time I erase a set of images from the card. There is no downside to doing that. A format done by the camera is almost by definition completely compatible with the camera's read write software.
01-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You should be able to format with your camera. I format every time I erase a set of images from the card. There is no downside to doing that. A format done by the camera is almost by definition completely compatible with the camera's read write software.
I do format with my camera everytime... my Canon had two options: regular format and low level format... my K-3 II does not... I'm assuming it is a regular format