Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #1

Kr rear LCD screen and back buttons not working : a fix

Hi all .

A few days ago I dropped my Kr on a soft floor. Afterward everything worked, I could take pics, but the lcd screen was off, and the rear clover shaped button, menu, info,and live view buttons were not working anymore. The red flashing led would'nt light up. All top buttons ( green, +/- and so on ) would work. I suspected some cable had been disconnected while bumping and decided to go inside. So here's how I fixed it, in case someone else has the same problem. Please don't do it you don't feel confident, and don't take me responsible for any damage to your camera.

The basics of opening a K -letter series ( Kx, Km, Kr and maybe others ) can be found in various places. I mainly used this online guide ( about K10 actually ), and I send many thanks to the author :
DSLR Camera Parts

First pop up the flash unit, remove the rubber around the viewfinder, then remove sd card and battery. Remove lanyard.
I used a 1,2 mm and 1,5 mm flat , and a ph-00 cross shaped, good quality and magnetised screwdrivers.

Opening bottom and top plates is pretty easy actually : see previous link. There are 10 screws on the bottom plate ( 2 inside battery trap ) and one silver colored deep at the bottom of the battery housing. There is one screw on the left side of the front plate, one screw under each lanyard metal loop, one on each side of the viewfinder, and two screws under the pop-up flash. Don't remove the third one that's close to the hook, it's not necessary. Tighten this screw if you feel the flash is a bit loose when closed.

Please pay attention to :
- the risk of electric shock from the fash unit capacitor. I used latex gloves to avoid it, but it may be better to discharge it first.
- the various sizes of screws : not only they differ by their length , but also by their diameter and thread spacing ! And two neighbour screws may be of a different type..... Well done Pentax, that's the way we like it ! Makes life interesting if you haven't noted which one comes from where.

Now, removing the rear/back part of the body.

There are 4 screws hidden under the 4 corners of the rubber grip ( see PIC n1 ). The rubber can be easely lift up with your nail, or as I did, using a medium guitar pick. Don't use metal or you'll scratch the body. Afterward the rubber comes back in place without even the need of glue, and leaving no visible mark. Fine.

Taking the rear/back plate apart.

Watch out for small plastic tongues that be broken easely , especially when re-assembling later. See PIC n2
Taking the back plate apart shows the main flat ribbon cable and the two connectors, which were actually disconnected. See PIC N3

Re-connecting the ribbon cable.

Just set the two connectors facing each other and gently press with your thumb. It may take a while before you find the right position, but when you've found it you'll feel a click. On my sample I found the clicking to be pretty loose , which makes me think they could disconnect again when bumping the body. It may be a good idea to stick a piece of foam under the connector so that the back plate applies some pressure on it, unfortunately I thought about it too late. Time will tell.

And now .... re-assemble the whole thing, paying attention to the place of the various screws, and to the plastic tongues. Note that it's possible to test the LCD screen before you re-assemble everything by putting the battery back, but beware of shortcuts and electrical shocks !

Now, I must warn you : I heard a small metal piece ratteling somewhere in the body afterward. I re-opened it and took it out. It looks like a small metal bracket with a screwhole in it. As I could'nt find where it came from, I did'nt try to put back. It seems to have no incidence.
I also moved unintentionnaly the AF MF selector before setting the front part back in place, and it got stuck on AF position. Opening it again and being more careful during reassembly would easely cure this I guess, but I don't care, as I mainly use MF lenses, and when I use an AF lens it works as usual. I just can't switch between AF and MF on the body.

That's all folks. Hope it may help someone and don't hesitate to ask me questions.

Christophe.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ10  Photo 

Last edited by Christophe17; 01-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.
01-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great info - thanks.
PS did you fix it?
01-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, yes, I didn't mention it but everything is OK now. It took me about half an hour.