Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3
Pentx k500 not letting in enough light

Pentax K500 worked ok for about a year then all of a sudden when I took a still photo it would flash back yellow and black on the display. Still works in movie mode except it goes immediately to dead battery so you cant really use that mode. I reset to defaults and the yellow/black flash stopped, now most of the time it displays black unless I am shooting directly at a light source then i get a glowing blip in the frame. The mirror moves with or without a lens and in cleaning mode. This is with either the 18-55 lens or 50-200. Its like it is not letting in enough light. Tried flash and the flash goes off before the shutter releases. It never did do well with flash indoors, blinded everyone and the pictures were still dark. Tried outside with snow all around so there was something light to record and at 9 am picture is like after dusk.

01-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,535
What lens?
Try putting the camera into Av mode and selecting a wide open aperture (lowest number) and pointing the camera so you can see into the lens. When you trigger the shot does the aperture stay open, or does it close down?

If it closes down, the the aperture control block is likely the problem, which isn't worth repairing. If you have any lenses with aperture rings you could likely use those in manual exposure mode without the problem.
01-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Omaha
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 236
I doubt this is the problem, but I'll mention it anyway... Make sure you haven't accidentally set metering to "spot". Through experience, it's one of the first things I check when exposures get inconsistent.
01-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I doubt this is the problem, but I'll mention it anyway... Make sure you haven't accidentally set metering to "spot". Through experience, it's one of the first things I check when exposures get inconsistent.
Good call. I looked at the shot details for all my shots and found the only ones that 'came out' were matrix metered and spot metered ones didnt so i thought that was the answer till i found others with matrix meter didnt come out. Really odd that 3 shots of people came out in the same room that shots of flowers etc didnt. Discovered today Manual mode works, still look dark but that could be the settings as i havent used manual since the K1000. :-)

---------- Post added 01-18-16 at 12:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What lens?
Try putting the camera into Av mode and selecting a wide open aperture (lowest number) and pointing the camera so you can see into the lens. When you trigger the shot does the aperture stay open, or does it close down?

If it closes down, the the aperture control block is likely the problem, which isn't worth repairing. If you have any lenses with aperture rings you could likely use those in manual exposure mode without the problem.
It does close. I discovered today that it works in manual mode and only sporadically in any automatic mode. I previously got 3 portraits in a well naturally lit room but other pics in the same room within same distance ranges didnt come out. matrix metering works more often than spot (which was never) but i cant find the place to make sure that is what it is on.

01-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,535
If your aperture control block is dying I would stop using anything other than M mode with lenses that have aperture rings. Without an aperture ring it might not always be reliable - the aperture ring is the key to avoiding the aperture closing too far.
01-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What lens?
Try putting the camera into Av mode and selecting a wide open aperture (lowest number) and pointing the camera so you can see into the lens. When you trigger the shot does the aperture stay open, or does it close down?

If it closes down, the the aperture control block is likely the problem, which isn't worth repairing. If you have any lenses with aperture rings you could likely use those in manual exposure mode without the problem.
I misunderstood the first time, (been away from this a while and relearning everything) the mirror opens and closes, trying the above method I saw the opening shut and open again--and got some lovely pics of half my head upside down--and it looks the same repeating in automatic mode but in that I get no picture, well, a seriously dark one as I can put on the computer and lighten up. Tried it with manual settings same as when in Auto and tried the Av method above again and this time got nothing. Im afraid after a only a year this is going to be a paper weight.
01-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,535
QuoteOriginally posted by mzmony Quote
I misunderstood the first time, (been away from this a while and relearning everything) the mirror opens and closes, trying the above method I saw the opening shut and open again--and got some lovely pics of half my head upside down--and it looks the same repeating in automatic mode but in that I get no picture, well, a seriously dark one as I can put on the computer and lighten up. Tried it with manual settings same as when in Auto and tried the Av method above again and this time got nothing. Im afraid after a only a year this is going to be a paper weight.
Got any M42 lenses? They work without the aperture lever.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, camera, didnt, flash, k500, lens, light, matrix, mode, pentax help, pentx k500, photography, shot, shots, spot, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K500 doest let enough light in to take a photp mzmony Visitors' Center 3 12-21-2015 01:01 PM
People Just Not Enough Hands Kerrowdown Post Your Photos! 23 10-07-2015 03:26 AM
Dropped K500 - object in viewfinder srehg Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 04-13-2015 04:56 AM
K500 Not Saving Video ScottAudio Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 03-20-2015 05:48 PM
Thanks for letting me in. campdog Welcomes and Introductions 5 11-12-2009 05:18 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top