Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #1

Filter stuck in lens cap

I've searched the forum and found plenty of good advice about how to remove a filter stuck on a lens.

My situation is a little different - I have a Marumi Circular Polarising Filter stuck inside an old-style pinch lens cap.

The filter has two moving rings - the ring that screws onto the lens is easily accessible and turning freely.

The other ring is hidden snugly inside the lens cap and I can't access it at all.

When I squeeze the lens cap to remove it there is no movement, no wiggle or looseness.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

01-19-2016, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #2

Heat the lens cap in hot water, it should change it dimensions a bit, and you should be able to take it off the filter.
01-19-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the lens cap is plastic - then it worth to try to heat it (hot water or a hair dryer) - and try to separate them after this. Be gentle and apply the heat from the cap side.

---------- Post added 19-01-16 at 13:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by istanbulnorthend Quote
I've searched the forum and found plenty of good advice about how to remove a filter stuck on a lens.

My situation is a little different - I have a Marumi Circular Polarising Filter stuck inside an old-style pinch lens cap.

The filter has two moving rings - the ring that screws onto the lens is easily accessible and turning freely.

The other ring is hidden snugly inside the lens cap and I can't access it at all.

When I squeeze the lens cap to remove it there is no movement, no wiggle or looseness.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.
Reed was faster
01-19-2016, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Screw the stuck combo onto a lens to anchor the filter, then squeeze the pinch cap and pull it off.

01-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, nothing has helped - 10 minutes under the hot tap and not even a hint of looseness.

It looks like I now have a screw-in lens cap!
01-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Try to screw on antother filters onto that one-and then tear it out by force then, maybe it will work, you may use some lens as lever. Btw can you post picture of that stuck one?
01-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Put a rubber band around the thread. This will let you grip much better.
01-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
Photo is attached - the grooved rim which is clearly visible is the one which screws onto the lens.

This is turning freely so unfortunately connecting it to a lens or another filter doesn't help with improved grip.

The second turning ring can just be seen - I can't get any access to this at all - also it doesn't screw it just spins.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you can't screw it onto a lens or another filter to get a better grip, try working a thin screwdriver or other tool between the filter and cap to pry them apart.

You can also try to drill a tiny hole near the front outer edge of the cap. Then push a paper clip or finishing nail through to push against the filter ring. Fill the hole with glue when you're done.
01-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

As a last resort, you may have to slit down the side of the cover with a sharp blade, in order for it to expand enough to remove the filter.
01-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
Brute force has done the trick!

I screwed it back on the lens and the first attempt pulled the whole filter off the lens again.

The second attempt got it!

Thanks for your help and time everyone
01-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad you got it free! Good lesson for the rest of us, using filters!
01-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Good lesson for the rest of us, using filters!
Knew there was a reason I don't use 'em... couldn't remember why until now.
01-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Knew there was a reason I don't use 'em... couldn't remember why until now.
I'll be honest - it's my first filter and almost certainly my last.
01-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by istanbulnorthend Quote
I'll be honest - it's my first filter and almost certainly my last.
I guess they do have place, say adverse conditions, but I tend not go out myself then...