Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

K-S2 problems...

Hi all,
I finally received my shiny new K-S2 today after ordering on 1st of January!
I've had a bit of a mess around with it but it seems to be faulty it will take a few pictures then stops and wont focus or take any more pictures... it is currently switched to the off position and the green light ring around the shutter button is flashing on and off???
please help!
Thanks
Lee

01-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leecue Quote
Hi all,
I've had a bit of a mess around with it but it seems to be faulty it will take a few pictures then stops and wont focus or take any more pictures... it is currently switched to the off position and the green light ring around the shutter button is flashing on and off???
please help!
Thanks
Lee
Did you charge the battery fully? Before you use the camera that needs to happen and I think that it takes several hours - the K-3 and K-50 were that way.
01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi all,
please help!
Thanks
Lee
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you charge the battery fully? Before you use the camera that needs to happen and I think that it takes several hours - the K-3 and K-50 were that way.
Yes, that is the likely cause. It is sort of a pain, but Lithium ion batteries are shipped with little or no charge. I think it may have something to do with fire hazard if the shipping box is damaged in transit.

Put the battery on the charger overnight and see if it works better in the morning.

Steve
01-19-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Battery is the obvious problem. Upgrade the firmware next. Toggle the autofocus switch (incase it's stuck halfway between manual and auto). Do a full camera reset from the menu.

If those don't fix the problem, then get a replacement. You may just have been horribly unlucky and have a dodgy one (it happens occasionally sadly, but once the replacement arrives you'll be all good). Hopefully though it's nothing serious...

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 11:09 PM ----------

Battery lacking charge is the most likely cause...

01-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all, i will give your suggestions a try and report back tomorrow
01-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone, not sure what fixed it but tried all of your suggestions and camera has been working great!
03-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi all,
I have this same problem again after 2 months...
When I am looking through the viewfinder I have no display, when I press the shutter release the rear screen and the green light around the button goes off and back on. When I switch to live view I get a black screen on the display, then when I try to switch the camera off the green button surround light flashes on and off, I then have to remove the battery to switch it off... On movie mode I get some display information on the screen but no picture, I am also unable to shut down the camera and have to remove the battery! Made for a disappointing trip to the fairground with my son today as missed a load of good shots...
Anybody else had similar problems?

P.s. Camera is on firmware 1.11
03-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi all,
I have this same problem again after 2 months...
When I am looking through the viewfinder I have no display, when I press the shutter release the rear screen and the green light around the button goes off and back on. When I switch to live view I get a black screen on the display, then when I try to switch the camera off the green button surround light flashes on and off, I then have to remove the battery to switch it off... On movie mode I get some display information on the screen but no picture, I am also unable to shut down the camera and have to remove the battery! Made for a disappointing trip to the fairground with my son today as missed a load of good shots...
Anybody else had similar problems?

P.s. Camera is on firmware 1.11
Sounds like another freeze. If it's only happened once after two months, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

To reduce the likelihood of freezes, avoid using the camera heavily when the battery is low, be sure to use a modern SD card (i.e. one with UHS-I support), and format your SD card regularly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like another freeze. If it's only happened once after two months, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

To reduce the likelihood of freezes, avoid using the camera heavily when the battery is low, be sure to use a modern SD card (i.e. one with UHS-I support), and format your SD card regularly.
Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply, the camera is unusable... I have fully charged the battery, formatted the memory card and re-installed the firmware.

Memory card is a SanDisk Extreme SDHC I 90MB/s class 10

Last edited by leecue; 03-29-2016 at 02:14 PM.
03-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

ive had this happen on other cameras and can vouch that the SD card should be reformatted every time its put back in any camera.
03-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote
ive had this happen on other cameras and can vouch that the SD card should be reformatted every time its put back in any camera.
Thanks for the info Tony but the card has not been removed since first installation from new.
03-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply, the camera is unusable... I have fully charged the battery, formatted the memory card and re-installed the firmware.

Memory card is a SanDisk Extreme SDHC I 90MB/s class 10
So a battery pull did not resolve the issue? If that's the case then you will need to get the camera serviced under warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So a battery pull did not resolve the issue? If that's the case then you will need to get the camera serviced under warranty.
No, battery pull does not resolve the issue. Guess I'll have to return it... How disappointing
Thanks for the advice though!
05-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
Update...

Returned the body to Park cameras UK where i purchased it from, they sent it off to a pentax agent for repair, 4 weeks later and it has returned! repairer reported that they repaired a circuit board, cleaned eye piece, ccd and tested.
Camera battery was completely flat when returned so i charged over night. Tested it this morning and it is exactly the same as when i sent it away 4 weeks ago! Aaargh!
Have contacted them and now i have to return the full kit and wait for a replacement... Which is out of stock!!! FFS!