Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Using vintage lenses on the K-S2

I have an old KM, and a couple of lenses that were purchased around the same time.
Long story short, I went to test out some new cameras. I know a bit about film, but nothing about digital. We tried two of my lenses on the K-50 and they appeared to work just fine. We tried them again on the K-S2, and the camera wouldn't fire. Before I left I had four different employees troubleshooting with me, but I left without an answer.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this might happen?

01-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kstarrett Quote
I have an old KM, and a couple of lenses that were purchased around the same time.
Long story short, I went to test out some new cameras. I know a bit about film, but nothing about digital. We tried two of my lenses on the K-50 and they appeared to work just fine. We tried them again on the K-S2, and the camera wouldn't fire. Before I left I had four different employees troubleshooting with me, but I left without an answer.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this might happen?
Yes, well camera store employees almost never know anything, especially about Pentax.

There is a setting -- "aperture ring enabled" -- that is off by default, and needs to be turned on for legacy lenses. Also fully manual K-mount lenses will only work properly in (M)anual mode on the body (won't stop down in other modes).

Here's the long answer:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
01-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also need to set the green button to TV shift, then you should be good to go The full guide is linked above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2016, 12:10 AM   #4

I was in a store messing around with the Pentax legacy lenses with my KS2. We put some of them in the camera but it did not work. The Aperture Ring Enabled feature was already turned on. Turns out there was an aperture ring around the lens itself that was kind of locked in place. You press a button and turn it to unlock it. After we did this, the lenses worked.