Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Spotmatic Metering

hey, long time since I was last here, under a different account, mumbling about various intricate details of the k-r and K1000. Both of those have since been rendered unusable, so I decided to reinvent my pentax career with at first, a k10d (which is wonderful, if a little clumsy) and now a spotmatic.

I learnt at the age of twelve how to handle a camera on the K1000, so in theory I've got some knowledge of film SLRs. The spotmatic's a little different, however, and I'm struggling with the light meter.

Basically, at the moment, I've got the ASA set to 400, but no film in it. when the shutter speed's at 1/4, and I hit the metering switch, it tells me that when I point the thing into a lamp, I am grossly underexposing the potential image. Push the shutter speed down to half a second and it's a gross overexposure, whether it's at f/1.8 or f/16.

I literally just read on the battery check that you can do at ASA 100 and a full second, and it did all of that fine.

Please help. If it means anything, it's an Asahi SPII version.

01-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery polarity reversed is the first thing that comes to mind.
01-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Battery polarity reversed is the first thing that comes to mind.
just taken it out and flipped it twice to make sure, same problem persists.
01-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

It might be the CdS cell. I have an old Knight Kit (of Allied Radio origins) CdS light meter. Actually, I've had several since the mid-1960's, have bought one or two more on eBay. The fact is, the meter cannot be made to read correctly over any range. Yes, I've tried this with the Wein cells and zinc-air 1.35V cells. And you cannot just change the internal adjustment. If you do so to get the proper battery check needle alignment, it doesn't work elsewhere.

Sad. I loved that big boy.

Hopefully, my observation is not your issue.

01-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulvzo Quote
It might be the CdS cell. I have an old Knight Kit (of Allied Radio origins) CdS light meter. Actually, I've had several since the mid-1960's, have bought one or two more on eBay. The fact is, the meter cannot be made to read correctly over any range. Yes, I've tried this with the Wein cells and zinc-air 1.35V cells. And you cannot just change the internal adjustment. If you do so to get the proper battery check needle alignment, it doesn't work elsewhere.

Sad. I loved that big boy.

Hopefully, my observation is not your issue.
thing is, the person I bought it off claimed it was in total working order, so I probably could send it back again.

I'll bring it into good shop I know in London, and see if they've got any advice or spare batteries.

shame though :/
01-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K1000 light metering works fine, but doing the exposure test as you described it I get about what you say happens. Point it at a clear blue sky midday--you should get 1/iso sec at f/16, or close to that.
01-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The metering range chart shows 1/4 of a second is at the edge of the meter's range. Using 1/2 a second is beyond the meter's range and will not provide correct exposure. butkus.org has the manual to download. The Pentax.jp website used to have it but I guess not any more.
01-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discoinfiltrator Quote
Basically, at the moment, I've got the ASA set to 400, but no film in it. when the shutter speed's at 1/4, and I hit the metering switch, it tells me that when I point the thing into a lamp, I am grossly underexposing the potential image. Push the shutter speed down to half a second and it's a gross overexposure, whether it's at f/1.8 or f/16.

Had a Quick check on my Spotmatic and at second at ASA 400 your out of range (light meter can't be used) wich is indicated by the red indicator besides the exposure time knob.

You can actually use a SR41 battery to replace the original. It's smaller and with different voltage, but it works.

01-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
had a quick check and all seems to be okay; at least, I think so.

I think I was just anticipating much lower shutter speeds and wider apertures than actually would have given me the correct exposure in the situation I was in; pointing the camera at a lamp, at ASA 400, is always going to be too bright for the film.

I've since had a go with it today, and my guesses of the correct shutter and aperture have largely matched what is indicated on the meter.

the only problem now is that the needle is reversed, but I'm sure that's just the battery.

---------- Post added 01-21-16 at 09:45 AM ----------

Obviously, I'll be able to fully tell once I burn through this 36.