Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Carl Zeiss 50mm 2.8

Hi,

Just got a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8 lens today, and was really surprised how small it is. It doesn't cover (don't know the proper scientific term) contact pins for the lens. Is that a problem? Or is it OK to walk around like that provided there is no rain or snow?

Thank you for your help!

01-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah, it's a wee one. Light leaks through the adapter are a possibility with a standard flush-mount (infinity-focus allowing) m42 adapter. I use a third-party one with the spring removed, which makes it even more likely, and I also have to be careful not to twist it out when focusing since it is just a friction fit without the spring in the adapter. With other old lenses that "lacked base" like this, I've used a big rubber washer around the bottom to gain some friction and block light, but that one is so small I found it easier to make a "skirt" for it out of black gaffer tape that hangs off a bit to block light around the base (folded back on itself so it isn't sticky on the camera base, although good quality gaffer tape won't leave a residue if you do stick it right on there). I'm sure there is a better solution, that's what I had on hand.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-20-2016 at 08:57 PM.
01-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice little Tessars they are too

I used one on a K10 and K5, light leaks never worried me.

Have fun with it.
01-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i use a stretchy black hairband for light leaks, not sure if it'll stay in position in this situation.

01-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
It's actually an interesting lens. Although not as sharp as its 1.8 east german relatives (CZJ Pancolar and Pentacon/Meyer Orestor), it has quite a signature. I especially like to use it during the gloomy winter days. Its rendering seems to give it something extra.
01-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the advice! I must admit I haven't thought of light leaking, I was more concerned about the elements...
01-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
i use a stretchy black hairband for light leaks, not sure if it'll stay in position in this situation.
That sounds easy. Or maybe an o-ring of the right size.

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Thank you for all the advice! I must admit I haven't thought of light leaking, I was more concerned about the elements...
If you are using an adapter without the spring where you leave it on the lens instead of in the body (which you would not typically do with the genuine Pentax version with the spring intact) -- you can see the one of the gaps in the top of the adapter is just about flush with the base of the lens, leaving a tiny sliver that is vulnerable to direct sunlight. I'm not sure I've seen leaks from this lens (and there may be more than one version -- mine is the chrome red T preset version), but definitely have from similar lenses that lacked base around the mount. (So I cover up that spot with something and be careful about the friction fit.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.
01-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You could do an empirical test by setting a high iso, and setting manual exposure to 30 seconds using a lens cap. Shine a torch around the lens-body interface during the exposure and check the results.

01-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ofr the suggestion! I will try that
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I once owned an Exacta Varex IIb with a Tessar, it was one of the best four element, three group lenses.
01-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't had a chance to shoot much with it, but I certainly like what I've seen so far... Feels interesting using a lens that's older than my dad...