Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

K-3 II Sensor Cleaning

I am looking to buy some supplies to clean my sensor, cannot find information about the k-3 ii sensor anywhere and am wondering if it has the exact same sensor as the K-3. I particularly want to know if it has the tin oxide coating so I know which type of cleaning solution to buy. Also, wondering if anyone has any experience using the digital survival kit with type 3 sensor swabs. I read somewhere that they work with either aps-c or ff sensors and for some reason they are a lot cheaper on amazon than type 2 which is what the brand recommends for aps-c sensors. Any help is appreciated!

01-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pic-nic Quote
I am looking to buy some supplies to clean my sensor, cannot find information about the k-3 ii sensor anywhere and am wondering if it has the exact same sensor as the K-3. I particularly want to know if it has the tin oxide coating so I know which type of cleaning solution to buy. Also, wondering if anyone has any experience using the digital survival kit with type 3 sensor swabs. I read somewhere that they work with either aps-c or ff sensors and for some reason they are a lot cheaper on amazon than type 2 which is what the brand recommends for aps-c sensors. Any help is appreciated!
Yup, same sensor as the K-3 if that helps.

This might also help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/109456-d...ml#post1128045

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

All you should really need is a rocket blower if you have the dust reduction turned on. I've yet to have to clean any of my sensor. These aren't Canikon..lol
01-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

Skip the solution and just buy the Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning system. It uses a unique polymer pen to lift dust/grime right off. A bit pricey at $45, but much easier than dealing with fluids.

01-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Skip the solution and just buy the Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning system. It uses a unique polymer pen to lift dust/grime right off. A bit pricey at $45, but much easier than dealing with fluids.
(I added bold)I still think that is the most awesome name ever for cleaning solution.
01-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
May I ask...
I bought the camera used, as an upgrade to my K-S2. I was digging in the menu and found the dust alert setting which does not exist on the k-s2. It showed a fair amount of sensor dust, and being the novice I am, I tried to use a cue tip with some lens solution on it (which I saw being used on a lynda.com tutorial). I definitely don't have top quality lens solution, so I believe it left streaks on the sensor because now the dust alert function shows even more marks on the sensor.

I am going to try using my rocket blaster, but just wanted to see what my options were because I really don't want to put the sensor at any more risk. The o-ick stick, in my opinion, doesn't look like it would really work for the streaks I mentioned before, plus it looks rather scary to use.

Thank you everyone!
01-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
Marketplace Reseller

Hmm, for streaks, something like a lens pen would probably work well without fluid, but the tips tend to be round, so it wouldn't get into the corners. You might be able to fashion something by cutting the tip, though.

Supposedly Eclipse kits have been reformulated to make them all ITO safe, so that might be an option for you.
01-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Did you also notice DUST REMOVAL in the same menu???? Thats no different than your KS2 except that its much quieter. It's too late now but it pays to read up on a product prior monkeying with it. Perhaps you should consider sending it off to have it professionally cleaned before you really screw things up like scratching your sensor.