Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Custom image settings

Is it normal for these not to be available using m series lens. I was trying to use monochrome. What is the deal?

01-23-2016, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think the custom image settings vary at all with lens types .... they should be available for any image that is recorded by the camera, regardless of lens AFAIK. What camera are using, and what are you seeing exactly when you press the custom image button ? (I assume you have taken an image already that is showing on the LCD screen .... )

One other point of clarification ..... by custom image settings I am thinking of the Pre-Sets like Landscape, Portrait, Mono etc, plus the individual fine tuning sliders for things like saturation, sharpness etc. There will be some lens correction functions such as CA and distortion corrrection that are only available for DA lens types I believe.
01-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have a k-50. It just says unavailable.... I need to try turning the camera on and off, I think sometimes it gets confused, because it should still have custom image settings from what I understand, and thanks for backing that up based on your understanding as well. Not that matters much at this point, I just got a new 43mm lens, so doubt I will fool much with those anymore. I am glad I did because I understand a lot more, but never could get good focus, having some trouble learning how to use autofocus since I was only using manual focus lenses, but already it is much easier over all. Thanks for help!
01-24-2016, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of things that aren't available when you mount a lens that doesn't have contacts. The exposure biasing that happens in landscape and portrait modes isn't available since the camera can't change the lens aperture.

I'm not sure of the specifics on the K50, but it does seem weird that monochrome wouldn't work...

-Eric

01-24-2016, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried it on a K-7 and a K-5 IIs. Monochrome works fine with my Pentax-M 135mm f3.5.

A good test is to try it with your new FA43. With the aperture ring in the A position, it's a modern lens. But set the ring to f8 and it's (sort of) an M lens.
01-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just tried it on a K-7 and a K-5 IIs. Monochrome works fine with my Pentax-M 135mm f3.5.
Cool! Yeah it works normally now, thanks. I think I was confused or something. What do you use that lens for?
01-25-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best single use that I've found is when I've been a guest at a wedding where I don't know a lot of people. At 135mm, you can fill the frame with people from 20 feet away. The lens is a lot smaller than it looks, so they often don't notice. It works great for portraits if I have a lot of distance. I sometimes take it for travel if I don't expect to need a telephoto lens but I have the room. I use it to take shots of my small dogs so they'll behave naturally farther away from me. The other shots are what I call "telephoto with context". Something like the moon rising next to a building, where you can get the moon big enough to see detail but not be that big. I have a Pentax-M 120mm f2.8 and a Pentax-A 135mm f2.8 that I like a little better, but the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 is really cheap, and worth picking up just to see what happens.

01-26-2016, 03:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks! I actually have that lens but have not used it much, was looking for ideas of what to do with it. But don't you actually prefer stop down metering than putting it on A with older lens, because then you actually keep taking shots instead of adjusting exposure? I don't know, I went broke but got that 43mm and 100mm WR macro, will probably just use my 28mm as far as those old ones goes unless just bored. Which by the way Amazon has that Macro lens for like 340, and it is awesome.I remember shopping around, and those faster 120mm and 135mm were not cheap, Amazon has some suprising prices on the discontinued ones, especially that 100mm macro, I really like it, more than the 43mm so far. Anyways, thanks for tips!!

Last edited by CarsonDude; 01-26-2016 at 03:20 AM.