Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting problem with Pentax ME.

My ME has just started doing something weird. A few minutes ago I went to take a picture with it and the LED was very faint and reading "under". So figuring it must be short on batteries, I cannibalised a pair from my Ricoh XR-1. Now it says "over" constantly, and no matter how I turn the aperture or ASA setting rings or how dark a scene I point it at, this doesn't change.

What is going on here? I was all set to take this camera overseas in February, but I have a sinking feeling my MX will be going instead.

01-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My ME has just started doing something weird. A few minutes ago I went to take a picture with it and the LED was very faint and reading "under". So figuring it must be short on batteries, I cannibalised a pair from my Ricoh XR-1. Now it says "over" constantly, and no matter how I turn the aperture or ASA setting rings or how dark a scene I point it at, this doesn't change.

What is going on here? I was all set to take this camera overseas in February, but I have a sinking feeling my MX will be going instead.
The Pentax ME was a wonderful, rugged and compact camera. I have had two of them and unfortunately I also experienced the same issues. Turned out that because of the age of the equipment, the photo cells had begun to deteriorate and therefore left me holding the bag sort of speak. They were not cost effective for me to have them repaired so I donated them to my favorite Camera Sales/Service Center for parts.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 01-26-2016 at 03:25 PM.
01-26-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, this is not looking good. I think I'll send it off for repair, though; it's a great little camera to use light, compact primes on, and while the P30T is far more flexible in many ways (though not in others; the ME will shoot to far slower speeds), it's also just that little bit larger and bulkier all round. Just a bit too big for the pocket I had in mind for it.

The next question is what to do with the film that's currently in it. I have six shots gone, and I can try to burn up all the rest in Sunny Sixteen (with a two-stop ND filter to bring the film down to an effective 100 ASA and allow seamless calculation of the aperture) or I can try to rewind it carefully enough to leave the leader out, reload it into another camera, fire off ten shots blind in a darkbag and then finish the film.

Actually, seeing as I have the darkbag, maybe I should just open it up and rewind it manually with the back open, then I could feel the leader come off before it went back into the canister.
01-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yeah, this is not looking good. I think I'll send it off for repair, though; it's a great little camera to use light, compact primes on, and while the P30T is far more flexible in many ways (though not in others; the ME will shoot to far slower speeds), it's also just that little bit larger and bulkier all round. Just a bit too big for the pocket I had in mind for it.

The next question is what to do with the film that's currently in it. I have six shots gone, and I can try to burn up all the rest in Sunny Sixteen (with a two-stop ND filter to bring the film down to an effective 100 ASA and allow seamless calculation of the aperture) or I can try to rewind it carefully enough to leave the leader out, reload it into another camera, fire off ten shots blind in a darkbag and then finish the film.

Actually, seeing as I have the darkbag, maybe I should just open it up and rewind it manually with the back open, then I could feel the leader come off before it went back into the canister.
You can just rewind the film to the point when you hear the lead pop off the spool. Then you can either try to push the lead back into the canister or just leave it the way you see it. There should not be any exposures on the lead film. Do not push the lead film all the way back into the canister, because if you do, you will need to use a lead puller to take the film out in order to wind it onto the spool.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 01-26-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: I made a mistrake. :)
01-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, I managed to rewind the film in my ME and leave the leader out. Next step was to load it into the MX; I popped it in, put my finger over the eyepiece viewfinder, kept the lenscap on and ran it through to frame ten at 1/1000, so with any luck I have about three or four frames clear and have probably saved the original pictures with the minimum of light contamination. This will be interesting to see if it worked! The ME goes off for assessment and potential repair tomorrow!!!
01-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Okay, I managed to rewind the film in my ME and leave the leader out. Next step was to load it into the MX; I popped it in, put my finger over the eyepiece viewfinder, kept the lenscap on and ran it through to frame ten at 1/1000, so with any luck I have about three or four frames clear and have probably saved the original pictures with the minimum of light contamination. This will be interesting to see if it worked! The ME goes off for assessment and potential repair tomorrow!!!
Good job. Hopefully you have a service place that you can trust. You really have to watch out for some of these repair centers that will do whatever they can to get money coming in. Good luck.

Tony
01-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They've already resurrected one camera and two lenses I sent them, so let's see what they can do with this.