Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Upgrading From K-y

I have a question and a comment. I am thinking of upgrading my camera. I have a Pentax K-y. It has always taken great photos, but I hate the battery problem. I did the first firmware, are there more? I want a camera that when the batteries are depleted, they are really depleted. When I put new batteries in now it says batteries depleted. I go ahead and take photos, after a while I am having to turn it off and back on to get it to work. I used some canned air and blew on the shutter button, it seem to help for a while. I would want one that I can use the lenses I have now with it. Thinking of only getting the camera body, I have a 18-135 lens and the one that came with the Pentax K-y and the ones from my manual camera. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I am just an amateur photographer.

01-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's a K-y?

Also, all Pentax K lenses work with all bodies, so you should be good to upgrade to any camera. I'd recommend the K-50 if you consider yourself more of a beginner, the K-S2 if you want a tilting screen, and the K-3 if you're more advanced.

Newer cameras also don't use AA's, so your battery performance should be more consistent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-x I am guessing?
01-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your camera is likely a K-r or K-x, rather than a K-y.

Whichever Pentax DSLR you have, the Firmware updates are listed here. You can check the Firmware version in your camera and compare to the latest on the list:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

You don't say what type of batteries you are using, but if it is a K-x, many have found that high quality AA batteries really make a difference in life and function. Eneloop batteries are a good brand.

The Best Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers Of 2015 - MetaEfficient

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 01-24-2016 at 09:10 PM.
01-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's a K-y?
An optional, but recommended, factory grease to apply before contacting repair services...

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 09:40 PM ----------

While we wait for the OP's answer.. 7 is just above y on a qwerty keyboard.. so guessing K-7
01-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
While we wait for the OP's answer.. 7 is just above y on a qwerty keyboard.. so guessing K-7
The K-7 did not have a battery problem. The K-x did.
01-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An optional, but recommended, factory grease to apply before contacting repair services...

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 09:40 PM ----------

Or distracted by other pursuits?

01-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-7 did not have a battery problem. The K-x did.
Well from a previous post he is talking about getting one of the two: K-x or a K-7.. guess the K-x won.

But the x is far from the y on a keyboard...
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well from a previous post he is talking about getting one of the two: K-x or a K-7.. guess the K-x won.

That's why I'm so confused!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming it really is a k-x then there were a number of firmware updates. I no longer remeber the numbers but I think the final one helped on the battery issue. And as noted above Eneloops are the battery of choice for that camera. Nothing else I tried worked nearly as well.

As to upgrades any lens that worked on the k-x will work on newer bodies as well.
01-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
Unless he's typing on a QWERTZ-layout keyboard. But since he's in Oklahoma, I doubt that...

I am a super professional amateur armchair forensics analyst investigator.
01-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's a K-y?

Also, all Pentax K lenses work with all bodies, so you should be good to upgrade to any camera. I'd recommend the K-50 if you consider yourself more of a beginner, the K-S2 if you want a tilting screen, and the K-3 if you're more advanced.

Newer cameras also don't use AA's, so your battery performance should be more consistent.
Sorry guys I meant K-x.

---------- Post added 01-25-2016 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
K-x I am guessing?
Yes, sorry about the typo.
01-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sissy64sonny Quote
Sorry guys I meant K-x.

Get a K-3 and don't look back.
01-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #14

Original Poster
Sorry guys I meant K-x.

Does the K-50 not use AA's? I am sick of the battery problem!!! I had been looking at a K-50 before I posted here. Thank you all for taking time to reply.
01-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the K-50 not use AA's? I am sick of the battery problem!!! I had been looking at a K-50 before I posted here. Thank you all for taking time to reply.
The K-50 can use the included rechargeable lithium ion battery or with an additional holder, use 4 AAs.

I have the K-30 and find myself switching either way, although I prefer the lithium-ion battery. The AAs have a tendency in my camera to show medium charge, then the camera goes dead (they run out earlier than expected). And I use eneloops exclusively.