Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

K3 Menu help

I'm digging into the programming of this cool little camera and I have a few questions..

Are the Program Line and PShift functions unique to Pentax or are these standard for all DSLR cameras? I think my confusion is about hyper-manual mode.

The Program Line has a drop down menu to select DOF, sport, etc. Under this menu what is “normal” and how is that different from “auto” and when should I use them? How does this affect the manual mode?

The menu under e-dial programming under manual has a menu to switch between Pline, TV shift and AV shift. When would I want to use these functions?

I'm sure I'll have more along the way.

Thanks for your help.

01-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iso Quote
The menu under e-dial programming under manual has a menu to switch between Pline, TV shift and AV shift. When would I want to use these functions?
P line just shifts the program line in one direction or another. For example, if the camera were to pick 1/100s F8 by default, turning the wheel might change that to 1/200s F5.6. However, if the lighting conditions change, both the shutter speed and aperture can still change accordingly.

Av shift, on the other hand, locks in a specific aperture value. Think of it as Av mode without having to move the mode dial. When you turn the e-dial, you'll change the aperture value chosen by the camera, and the camera will maintain that setting and only adjust the shutter speed as needed. Tv shift is the same as Av shift, except it locks in the shutter speed instead of the aperture.

Most manufacturers default the e-dials to P line shift when in P mode. The ability to lock in a shutter speed or aperture setting without changing the shooting mode is very convenient and unique to Pentax, at least among DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
iso

Original Poster
Adam, Thank you for your prompt reply.