Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 28/1.9 barrel wobble

I have recently purchased a Vivitar 28/1.9 in good condition. The glass is without marks, the aperture is snappy and the lens is also in good condition cosmetically. However, the lens barrel has a pronounced wobble when the focussing ring is turned towards the closest focussing position. From about 0,5 meters till infinity there is no wobble whatsoever. I suspect that the wobble is related to the floating element that comes into action when the focussing ring is turned towards closest focus. Is this normal for this lens?

I am grateful for any advice on this matter!

Last edited by bjolester; 02-02-2016 at 12:17 PM.
01-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It maybe that the grease has dried out and simply no longer damps out the wobble as it should. The lens may simply need to be cleaned and re-lubricated.
01-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Mine has a noticable (sudden) reduction in resistance (like a slipage) over a small distance range--near the minimum focus distance.But no wobble. Purchased used and never handled one when they were new, but I assume this is age related.
01-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It is supposed to have a change there (not sure it is supposed to be a "wobble" though). As mentioned, part of the macro function -- I think one of the elements actually changes direction, can't remember, but it has a definite "hitch" that is normal and part of the design...

01-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your helpful comments! My copy has a wobble near the minimum focus distance, I also observe that the aperture blades move when I move the barrel/provoke wobble. So something is wrong with my lens.
01-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Thank you very much for your helpful comments! My copy has a wobble near the minimum focus distance, I also observe that the aperture blades move when I move the barrel/provoke wobble. So something is wrong with my lens.
That may be normal also -- do they just close slightly? Although weird designs like that do provoke people to attempt "repairs" that are not needed, so it could be messed up from the last person it confused...
01-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That may be normal also -- do they just close slightly? Although weird designs like that do provoke people to attempt "repairs" that are not needed, so it could be messed up from the last person it confused...
Yes, the aperture blades close slightly when I move the lens barrel from side to side at minimum focus distance. There are luckily no signs of any "hobbyist repairs" anywhere on the lens. It looks as if I am the first confused owner...
01-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Yes, the aperture blades close slightly when I move the lens barrel from side to side at minimum focus distance. There are luckily no signs of any "hobbyist repairs" anywhere on the lens. It looks as if I am the first confused owner...
My guess is that is normal as long as it is consistent.