Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
You are braver than I am at this point !!
It's not being brave - I know it's perfectly safe to use, as long as you follow directions.

02-03-2016, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Can I ask something: I keep reading to NOT use canned air, but you mentioned that you do use canned air? Is there a specific type of canned air that is safe to use on the sensor?
Don't use canned air, ever! It'll just puddle on the sensor, and then you'll be forced to go for a wet clean to remove the splodges. (Short answer: it'll make the problem far worse)

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 09:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If you shake the canned air or use it upside down there is a chance that the liquid propellant may come out instead of 'air'. I tested whether shaking the can will make the liquid propellant shoot out or not by shaking the can as briskly as I would to prepare a paint bomb before spray painting. I shot it against my screen door window and the liquid propellant shot out momentarily before air replaced it. As for the propellant, it evapourated within a second or two without leaving any trace behind. Oh, and all canned air is basically the same.

I use canned air while holding the can straight up and down (left hand) with the camera sensor (right hand) in front of the nozzle. Intermittently pull on the trigger to release 2 or 3 sharp blasts while moving the camera around. I don't stick the nozzle of the canned air into the mirror box but stay about an inch or two in front of the camera, there is enough pressure to deliver a far greater volume of air than a Rocket Blower can. I couldn't tell you where my large rocket blower is - a small one is inside my camera bag - A canned air sits on the shelf with my camera gear.
Yeah, this is terrible advice. At this point I cant say whether you are trolling the forum, of genuinely believe this is useful?

The propellant when travelling through air, picks up dust particles and then proceeds to glue them to the sensor surface. The propellant may evaporate off, but you can very easily end up with brown smudges all over the sensor.

Whilst you may think this is a safe method, I can assure you from experience it is not. You will, sooner or later, be sending your camera in for a professional wet clean.
02-03-2016, 02:21 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. Do Not Use Canned Air!

I have yet to find any dust that I cannot remove with my rocket blower. Just saying.
02-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also have misgivings about using canned air for things like sensors and other equally sensitive items. I seldom use it for anything really. Nothing really factual or no bad experiences, but I just have concerns about whatever nasty stuff is in the can with the air. I just feel better about the rocket blowers.

02-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #35
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
+1. Do Not Use Canned Air!

I have yet to find any dust that I cannot remove with my rocket blower. Just saying.
Same here.. It does a rather good job in my experiences.

I would still urge caution when using it near a sensitive part of your camera such as the sensor. Keeping the tip of the blower well away from the sensor... its made of hard plastic and around the air hole it isn't super smooth.. kind of rough. I suspect it could easily scratch the sensor if I were to very recklessly end up bumping it against the sensor. Which is why I suggested keeping the blower tip around an inch away from the sensor.

Btw this dust seems to pickup a charge I've noticed.. as a result.. it becomes somewhat 'sticky' to the surfaces in and around the mirror box. Like a sticky booger that won't get off your finger despite vigorous flicking. So it might take some tries to get it all off the sensor if it is on there. A bit of trial, checking, and retrial.
02-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #36

Original Poster
Hi All,

Maybe "persistence counts"??? I've been blasting that sensor on and off with the rocket blower since last night, and I thought I was imagining it, but I think it's clean now???

Or maybe I'm just "wishful thinking"?

Can you all check it and let me know?

Thanks!

EDIT: NVM - now that I posted the pics and look at them on the website I can still see spots ...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #37
Pentaxian

f/16, and it's looking better! Try taking some f/8 shots and check if you can still see the spots. They may be nearly invisible, or so small they can be dealt with easily in post.
02-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
f/16, and it's looking better! Try taking some f/8 shots and check if you can still see the spots. They may be nearly invisible, or so small they can be dealt with easily in post.
Ok, here's f8... how does it look to you?

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 08:05 PM ----------

BTW, so I was serious earlier. I haven't done anything different till now, as I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive, so all that I had was that little rocket blower, so I'd go in and give it a couple of puffs when I had some time, once in awhile. Nothing crazy mind you. Maybe it's time for the static attraction to loosen it's grip ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Don't use canned air, ever! It'll just puddle on the sensor, and then you'll be forced to go for a wet clean to remove the splodges. (Short answer: it'll make the problem far worse)

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 09:04 AM ----------

Yeah, this is terrible advice. At this point I cant say whether you are trolling the forum, of genuinely believe this is useful?
What, if someone's opinion doesn't jive with yours, it's trolling?

QuoteQuote:
The propellant when travelling through air, picks up dust particles and then proceeds to glue them to the sensor surface. The propellant may evaporate off, but you can very easily end up with brown smudges all over the sensor.
I've tried shaking the can to force the propellant out in liquid form and when it did come out sprayed against a clean glass surface the propellant evapourated almost instantaneously WITHOUT leaving any residue. Maybe you are confusing a paint bomb with canned air?

Propellant travelling through the air picking dust particles you say, what about the air jetting out of the rocket blower? Your hand is warming up the bulb, vigourous squeezing and letting go of the bulb create static electricity, also the nozzle that shoots out the air acts as the intake when the bulb inflates. Dust is in the air, the same dusty air is going in and out of the rocket blower to the sensor and back again.

QuoteQuote:
Whilst you may think this is a safe method, I can assure you from experience it is not. You will, sooner or later, be sending your camera in for a professional wet clean.
It is safe, as long as you use it according to directions. You say from experience, so tell me of your negative experience. I've been using canned air to clean my camera gear for for about 8 years now (my digital phase), so far I've never had any problem rising from the use of canned air. Oh, and I also do my own wet cleaning as well.

Oh yeah, those willing to use canned air to clean their gear, please do so in a reasonably well ventilated area - breathing in the propellant might give you a slight buzz.
02-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Ok, here's f8... how does it look to you?

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 08:05 PM ----------

BTW, so I was serious earlier. I haven't done anything different till now, as I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive, so all that I had was that little rocket blower, so I'd go in and give it a couple of puffs when I had some time, once in awhile. Nothing crazy mind you. Maybe it's time for the static attraction to loosen it's grip ?

Congrats! It looks clean now.

What I do to check for sensor dust is to shoot the camera without a lens towards a light source, preferably white. A couple of times from different angle. If a spot is persistently on the same spot, yes, it's a dust.

As an alternative, you can deliberately focus at infinity, while holding a camera with the lens, preferably near a lightsource at, say a few centimeters away to ensure that the "unfocused" light projects to the sensor. Any dust will sure appear as dark spot(s).

Just do it in a relatively dust free room, say in the bathroom
02-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #41

Original Poster
Hi

Oh, oh, here we go again. Looks like they're (spots) back . I don't know if this makes a difference, but I noticed these after I switched to a different lens, one of my old 50mm Pentax lenses...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #42

Original Poster
Next step in this "journey": I received the sensor brush (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQQQZQ), so I tried that, and after about 8-10 passes (with blowing in between each pass), I got the attached image. Can someone check this one?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by ohaya; 02-05-2016 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Replace with better image
02-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #43
mee
Pentaxian

It is looking muuuch better. Still some blotches but they are super minor. This is the same image with micro contrast (Structure) set to max and the overall contrast up a bit. These are extreme settings to see what is left. One wouldn't normally set these parameters this high..

As you can see there are a few problem spots (I think only visibly is the one at noon and the one around 4:30) the others I circled are so tiny and hard to see I wouldn't even worry about them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I think this looks really great. I doubt anyone can do much better, short of a professional with all sorts of tools available to them. Good job!
One thing to remember is that when using the rocket blower, if possible, you should try to get the dust out of the mirror box, and out of the camera altogether; not just off of the sensor. But that is very difficult, often impossible. Its just that if the dust particles remain within the camera, they may find their way back to the sensor.
Anyway, if you use the camera, especially in dusty, windy conditions, in cities with heavy traffic.. you will get new dust spots eventually. I suggest you enable the "dust removal" function on Shutdown or on Startup, as this helps a little.
02-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What, if someone's opinion doesn't jive with yours, it's trolling?

I've tried shaking the can to force the propellant out in liquid form and when it did come out sprayed against a clean glass surface the propellant evapourated almost instantaneously WITHOUT leaving any residue. Maybe you are confusing a paint bomb with canned air?

Propellant travelling through the air picking dust particles you say, what about the air jetting out of the rocket blower? Your hand is warming up the bulb, vigourous squeezing and letting go of the bulb create static electricity, also the nozzle that shoots out the air acts as the intake when the bulb inflates. Dust is in the air, the same dusty air is going in and out of the rocket blower to the sensor and back again.

It is safe, as long as you use it according to directions. You say from experience, so tell me of your negative experience. I've been using canned air to clean my camera gear for for about 8 years now (my digital phase), so far I've never had any problem rising from the use of canned air. Oh, and I also do my own wet cleaning as well.

Oh yeah, those willing to use canned air to clean their gear, please do so in a reasonably well ventilated area - breathing in the propellant might give you a slight buzz.
Again, I shall repeat, it's not safe to use canned air. My experience is a number of years ago with my first dust spot on a dslr. I ended up with stains on the sensor which had to be cleaned professionally.

Now, since you like reading instructions so much, go and read your camera instructions. The very first line in the sensor cleaning section in the k-x manual says: "caution. Do not use a spray type blower".

The k-3 manual says this: "caution: never use a spray blower or a blower with a brush. The cmos sensor may be damaged".

So please, please, please, stop recommending canned air to people. If you want to take the risk with your own kit, that's up to you. But don't advise others to follow suit. It *is* bad advice, and it could land a fellow forum user with an extra cost to remedy (not everyone wants to do their own wet cleaning).