Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is looking muuuch better. Still some blotches but they are super minor. This is the same image with micro contrast (Structure) set to max and the overall contrast up a bit. These are extreme settings to see what is left. One wouldn't normally set these parameters this high..

As you can see there are a few problem spots (I think only visibly is the one at noon and the one around 4:30) the others I circled are so tiny and hard to see I wouldn't even worry about them.
Hi,

If you don't mind a newb question: How did you make that image?

Thanks,
Jim

---------- Post added 02-06-16 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think this looks really great. I doubt anyone can do much better, short of a professional with all sorts of tools available to them. Good job!
One thing to remember is that when using the rocket blower, if possible, you should try to get the dust out of the mirror box, and out of the camera altogether; not just off of the sensor. But that is very difficult, often impossible. Its just that if the dust particles remain within the camera, they may find their way back to the sensor.
Anyway, if you use the camera, especially in dusty, windy conditions, in cities with heavy traffic.. you will get new dust spots eventually. I suggest you enable the "dust removal" function on Shutdown or on Startup, as this helps a little.

Thanks . Yes, I already have the dust removal on startup enabled.

02-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Again, I shall repeat, it's not safe to use canned air. My experience is a number of years ago with my first dust spot on a dslr. I ended up with stains on the sensor which had to be cleaned professionally.

Now, since you like reading instructions so much, go and read your camera instructions. The very first line in the sensor cleaning section in the k-x manual says: "caution. Do not use a spray type blower".

The k-3 manual says this: "caution: never use a spray blower or a blower with a brush. The cmos sensor may be damaged".

So please, please, please, stop recommending canned air to people. If you want to take the risk with your own kit, that's up to you. But don't advise others to follow suit. It *is* bad advice, and it could land a fellow forum user with an extra cost to remedy (not everyone wants to do their own wet cleaning).
+1 on that. There are beginners observing here and I would hate to see them follow bad advice. A messed up sensor is a really bad thing on a digital camera.
02-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #48
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

If you don't mind a newb question: How did you make that image?

Thanks,
Jim
The best question is an asked question!

I have the Google Nik Collection plugins for photoshop and lightroom. One of the plugins, Viveza, has a micro-contrast adjustment slider (Structure). I moved that slider to 100% and then increased overall contrast a bit. Using structure at very high amounts, I've found, is an easy way to find dust spots in my images haha.

Lightroom has it's own version called 'Clarity' they do similar things to the image. I generally will use one of these and then the dust removal/clone tool in LR to remove the spots from my images. That said, a clean sensor is a better idea yet difficult to always achieve.
02-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The best question is an asked question!

I have the Google Nik Collection plugins for photoshop and lightroom. One of the plugins, Viveza, has a micro-contrast adjustment slider (Structure). I moved that slider to 100% and then increased overall contrast a bit. Using structure at very high amounts, I've found, is an easy way to find dust spots in my images haha.

Lightroom has it's own version called 'Clarity' they do similar things to the image. I generally will use one of these and then the dust removal/clone tool in LR to remove the spots from my images. That said, a clean sensor is a better idea yet difficult to always achieve.
Ok, thanks for that info!