Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Spots on images - K-r

Hi,

HELP!

I just noticed today that the images produced by a used K-r that I just got appear to have two "spots" (at least) on the upper-left of all images. I'm attaching a couple of shots.

I've swapped different lenses, and the spots (circled in the images) are still there, so they are not from the lens.

I've also run the K-r dust removal function several times, and they still remain. Actually, they were worse before I did that, and were dark and defined, but now are more like "smudges". What is weird also is when I run the dust alert after dust removal, that shows different results then when I re-run dust removal and dust alert I get different results again. Also, the spots shown on dust alert don't seem to correspond to the ones in the images (spots on images are upper-left of pics, dust alert doesn't show any dust in upper-left).

What can I do about these?

Also, there are "specks" in the viewfinder (these I knew about from the auction description). Is there something that I can do about those?

Thanks,
Jim

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
01-31-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are dust spots on your sensor. They are a fact of life when owning a DSLR - dust gets in when you change/remove lenses. You might notice at least 2 or 3 more near the center of the frame as well. The spots become darker and more defined as you stop down your lens. Try using a Giottos Rocket Blower to remove them. If that doesn't work, you might try a wet-cleaning removal method. Do a search on "sensor cleaning" here in the forums for tons of info. In the meantime, you can use your clone or healing tool in your photo editor to remove the spots from photos.
01-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi paul,

Are you saying that there are 2-3 more in the center that I am not seeing !!

That (dirt) is the main reason that I'd not gotten into a DSLR until now .

I don't have a blower yet (just ordered) but when I do try that, should I have the mirror lifted up? Should I be able to see the dirt when the mirror is up, with a magnifying glass?

Also, is there something I can do about the specs in the viewfinder?

Thanks,
Jim
01-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This may help:

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

01-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
paul,

Egads!!

---------- Post added 01-31-16 at 11:49 AM ----------

I set the K-r to raise the mirror, and I was able to see 3 specs of dirt on the sensor. Orientation-wise, they are located upside-down and mirror-imaged compared to where they appear in the images I posted. Are those the ones?

I couldn't see any dirt specks corresponding to any of the other spots on the last image I posted though ...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
01-31-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi,

The specs that I see in the viewfinder don't seem to be on the surface of the mirror? What I mean is that I tried a Qtip and lightly went over the side of the mirror that I could see, and couldn't move or remove any of the viewfinder specks.
01-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't do anything else until you have a rocket blower. I repeat, do not do anything else until you have a rocket blower!

Jabbing q-tips in there is just as likely to cause more problems. A couple of blows from the rocket blower, and all will be as good as new! Just have a little patience, and all will be well

01-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi,

Ok, I'll wait. Should be here early this week.

Thanks,
Jim
01-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Get a "rocket blower" to clean the sensor. Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower, 7.5in AA1903

If the dust is especially stubborn and won't come off with the rocket blower, you can try the Pentax sticky swab Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357 or a wet cleaning kit.

Never used canned air because the propellant can spray onto the sensor.

Dust in the viewfinder or on the mirror won't show in photos. You might be able to get it with the blower, but if it's inside the viewfinder you can just leave it alone.
02-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
The blower that I ordered arrived today (fast, from Amazon, 1-day!) but now I have to wait for the battery to fully charge so I can keep the mirror raised. Meanwhile I'm practicing with the blower, but my right hand is cramping up !!!
02-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

DONT TOUCH THE SENSOR... you will become sad if you damage it.

With the blower I'd recommend not getting the tip of the blower right on the sensor, there is potential for you to scratch it by accidentally touching the surface of the sensor. Plus the force of air from the blower may cause damage to it. That last part might be extremely rare but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Treat the sensor like a delicate flower. Stay at least an inch above it. Because if you damage it, you're likely buying a new camera and you just bonded with this one. :cP
02-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
DONT TOUCH THE SENSOR... you will become sad if you damage it.

With the blower I'd recommend not getting the tip of the blower right on the sensor, there is potential for you to scratch it by accidentally touching the surface of the sensor. Plus the force of air from the blower may cause damage to it. That last part might be extremely rare but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Treat the sensor like a delicate flower. Stay at least an inch above it. Because if you damage it, you're likely buying a new camera and you just bonded with this one. :cP
You are just being too paranoid. Basics of sensor cleaning is to try the least intrusive like the rocket blower, on to a canned air (much more powerful, precisely directed flow of air - a very small chance of the liquid propellant coming out mostly due to user mistake), and if all this fails to clean the sensor, it's wet cleaning with sensor swabs. I've cleaned my K20D and K-5 with Eclipse Sensor Swabs with good results. Once the dust has been removed, periodically blowing the sensor with the rocket blower or canned air (I use the latter), will keep the sensor dust-free.
02-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
The blower arrived, and I've tried several times. Holding the camera facing downwards, I've tried several times, but I think that while I did (maybe) get rid of some of the existing spots, I now have different spots. I'm attaching the latest image with the new spots that I can see now.

Recommendations for next step? Like I said, I've tried this a number of times already tonight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those may be bits of pollen or something stuck on the sensor. You could try a wet-cleaning method suggested above. Your exif from that photo shows it was shot at f/18. Try taking some photos at "normal" apertures, such as f/5.6, or f/8, etc, and those spots may not even be visible.
02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #15

Original Poster
paul,

Yes, you're correct that when I open up the lens opening, the spots become less visible.

FYI, I realized that I had a digital microscope, so I tried to use that, and using that, I think I can see the dust (or whatever it is). Example is attached.

I will review the earlier posts about the wet method. What about that gel stick (the Pentax sensor cleaning tool)? Would that work?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: P.S. Blowing with the blower doesn't move/eliminate the ones that I can see with the scope ...
Attached Images

Last edited by ohaya; 02-02-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: add