Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Does this Vivitar 28mm have Ricoh pin?

Hi,

I bought, but haven't received this lens yet:

Vivitar 28mm 1 2 8 Auto Wide Angle Lens DM 30 MP | eBay

but, in googling around, I found some info that the 28mm Vivitar lenses have a Ricoh pin.

Does anyone know if that is the case with this particular lens (I will post pics when it arrives)?

Thanks,
Jim

02-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, it is a fully manual lens. No pins of any kind.

Tim
02-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The lens in the photos is for Minolta SR (MD) mount, not Pentax K.
02-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

I bought, but haven't received this lens yet:

Vivitar 28mm 1 2 8 Auto Wide Angle Lens DM 30 MP | eBay

but, in googling around, I found some info that the 28mm Vivitar lenses have a Ricoh pin.

Does anyone know if that is the case with this particular lens (I will post pics when it arrives)?

Thanks,
Jim
Here this link will help you get to know the mounts better SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

02-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The lens in the photos is for Minolta SR (MD) mount, not Pentax K.
Hopefully, the pics of the mount side are wrong !!! It should be arriving today or tomorrow, so I'll post back when I get it.

Thanks!!

Jim

EDIT: BTW, is it safe to try it on my K-r? I don't want it to damage the camera !
02-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

NO!!! It will not mount on your Pentax camera without an adapter. Even then it wont work very well. I would contact the seller and notify him the listing is incorrect as he had it listed for Pentax/Ricoh for which it directly is not. Send it back and get your money refunded.
02-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
NO!!! It will not mount on your Pentax camera without an adapter. Even then it wont work very well. I would contact the seller and notify him the listing is incorrect as he had it listed for Pentax/Ricoh for which it directly is not. Send it back and get your money refunded.
Yes, I've already written to him. Hopefully (a long shot) it's just the pics are wrong, but we'll see soon, I think. Thanks!

Jim
02-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say it is a Minolta mount lens... not Pentax mount as someone has already pointed out.

02-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would say it is a Minolta mount lens... not Pentax mount as someone has already pointed out.
It won't arrive until tomorrow, but I already messaged the Ebay seller. He seemed genuinely surprised and said once I confirm that it's not a K mount that he'll send a return label and refund. So I will wait... still hoping that the pic was wrong though, but he thinks the pic is accurate to what they sent.

We shall see...
02-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The photos are certainly a Minolta SR-mount with the MD tabs on the aperture ring. Minolta lenses had a much shorter focal-flange distance than K-mount, so they aren't of much value to DSLR users.
02-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
osv
Pentaxian

at $29.99, you are nearly into pentax 28mm legacy prime pricing.

i'd suggest spending a bit more for pentax, rather than vivitar, outside of a couple of exceptions.
02-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
To close the loop: The lens arrived today and it surely isn't a K-mount. I've messaged the seller and am awaiting his response. Thanks!!

Jim
02-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi,

I just got another one and am attaching some pics. Can anyone tell me if this has a Ricoh pin that I need to remove? I do see a pin sticking out that is opposite from the red dot. It's shaped is kind of conical.

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
02-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that is a Ricoh pin. Your lens has a combination mount for both Pentax and Ricoh systems. The Ricoh pin comes in two variants. One is a rigid pin. The other kind is a spring-loaded ball similar to the contacts on the Pentax mount face. The spring-loaded ball is less prone to jamming in the AF drive well than the pin type. Several users on this site, myself included, have used the ball type without problem, though I would caution there is no guarantee.

Steve
02-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is a Ricoh pin. Your lens has a combination mount for both Pentax and Ricoh systems. The Ricoh pin comes in two variants. One is a rigid pin. The other kind is a spring-loaded ball similar to the contacts on the Pentax mount face. The spring-loaded ball is less prone to jamming in the AF drive well than the pin type. Several users on this site, myself included, have used the ball type without problem, though I would caution there is no guarantee.

Steve
Thanks for the quick feedback - I had visions of this lens getting stuck on my K-r ...

Anyway, I was able to remove the pin (remove 4 screws, pop the pin out). The only "panic" moment was when I realized that one of the 4 screws was longer than the other 3, and had to go into a specific hole, but I hadn't noticed that. It's back together now, and the following pic is courtesy of the new lens!

Thanks again,
Jim
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo