Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #1

Spotmatic 2 battery top

Hi All

Having trouble undoing the screw top to the battery compartment on my Spotmatic 2 camera, need to replace flat battery, I'm frightened of damaging the coin slot in the screw top if I exert more force, any ideas anyone

PeteC

02-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

Yeah, good luck with that...
It's not too hard to really mess up the battery compartment slot on a Spotmatic. There's a lot out there ruined. That slot is unusually shallow, and the brass is soft.

Step one is to get a coin that fits the slot really well. I find a Canadian 5 fits well and has nice sharp edges to catch whatever edges are left of the coin slot. Coins with reeded edges are not right for the job.
But, if you're still having trouble, chances are the battery has corroded and virtually welded the battery compartment in place.

You'll notice the Spotmatic battery hatch has two tiny holes in it. I've had some luck over the years using a small drill to enlarge those holes so a strong pin wrench can be used to unscrew the hatch. Still, if the corrosion is bad enough and has been there long enough, that won't work either.

Fortunately, the battery compartment of a Spotmatic is attached to the baseplate, so you can remove the entire bottom cover, and possibly dip it some kind of solvent for several days in an effort to loosen up the weld the corrosion has put on the threads. I'm not sure what solvent works best. I've tried a few light oils, thinners, and even alcohol. Maybe someone else can say what has definitely worked for them.

Unfortunately, faced with a really, really stuck battery hatch, I have resorted to taking the baseplate off another Spotmatic that died a graceful death and was willing to donate its parts. Note that the baseplate of a Spotmatic F does not fit the earlier Spotmatics, or the II (too bad, 'cause it would be nice to be able to use the ordinary SR44 battery).
02-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, given me a few ideas,

will try a few things suggested and report back

Regards PeteC

Don't let this thanks stop anyone else with some good views on the problem chipping in.