Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black lines on screen K5iis

Hi All.

First time I've ever had this problem, but I am getting black vertical lines on my K5iis screen. They seem to diminish/get shorter as the camera warms up. The lines are not in the taken image, but are annoying nevertheless. Any ideas what is going on? I didn't see anything via a search.

My best,

Doug

02-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's also happened to my K5 IIs as well. It seems to be a breakdown of the LCD, particularly in cold weather. 30,000 frames in and after shooting in -20 weather on occasion, I just accepted it and carried on.
02-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Matt. I was at -20, more like -5C, but same issue.
02-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Had the same on the left of the screen after a long walk below 0°C nothing wrong during the walk so. It came back to normal after a day or two.
Still didn't understand what exactly happened but it's back to normal now.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 02-07-2016 at 02:26 PM.
02-07-2016, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<--- That guy is Canadian
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Thanks Matt. I was at -20, more like -5C, but same issue.

-20 C
02-14-2016, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I grew up in Canada, but I live in the US. So I'm temperature bilingual.
03-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #7

This happen to my K5-IIs after cold days out. In warmer days the black area shrinks a bit but never completely goes away. Guess it is the price to pay for shooting in cold weather?

12-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am resurrecting this old thread about black lines on the LCD which everyone seems to ascribe to cold weather.

Well I live in Houston, TX and cold for me is anything under 60°F, and I suffer from K-5IIs LCD black lines. Have any new theories (i.e. other than cold) come about since the previous post in March?
01-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will add the black lines went away completely over the summer. My camera is currently in for repair due to an accident, but the problem does seem to be an annoying cold weather issue.
01-04-2022, 04:41 AM   #10

black lines on LCD

Hi everyone, not shooting too much, mainly keep my precious K5 ii in a dedicated back away from anyone.
I was surprised when started shooting in new year and during viewing taken pictures all of a sudden those blacklines. no cold weather, no impact on any picture.
what I noticed is, when turning off, smth still visible on switch off LCD, like a LCD artifact trace.
I wouldn't like this to be blamed on a quality of the manufacturer.
01-06-2022, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichyXC90 Quote
Hi everyone, not shooting too much, mainly keep my precious K5 ii in a dedicated back away from anyone.
I was surprised when started shooting in new year and during viewing taken pictures all of a sudden those blacklines
No cold weather, no impact on any picture.
Particular if no impact on any photo this is either:

a) a simple contact problem: (happens particular if hardly used, things like it better if regularely used, such as the CMOS battery which keeps date etc.)
(same steps as in b) but just to open and close the 2 connectors which hold those flat ribbon-cables)

b) LCD has aged:
The LCD is pretty easy to exchange but you have to disassemble your K5II:
Part of the disassembly is shown here:
Tutorial: Repair E-Dials Pentax K7 / K5 / K5II / K3 and possibly others - PentaxForums.com
and very well here as well:
K-5 Full spectrum conversion (IR filter removal) - PentaxForums.com

What you need to take care of is that tiny little switch for the SD-carddoor!
When you take out the parts covering the LCD itself (which is protected by glass) you will see it.
It is springloaded and if this spring accidently is out of its position, it is a bit difficult getting it in back into position.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichyXC90 Quote
What I noticed is, when turning off, smth still visible on switch off LCD, like a LCD artifact trace.
I wouldn't like this to be blamed on a quality of the manufacturer.
What do you mean with this?

Either a or b is normal with age.
01-07-2022, 05:01 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Particular if no impact on any photo this is either:

a) a simple contact problem: (happens particular if hardly used, things like it better if regularely used, such as the CMOS battery which keeps date etc.)
(same steps as in b) but just to open and close the 2 connectors which hold those flat ribbon-cables)

b) LCD has aged:
The LCD is pretty easy to exchange but you have to disassemble your K5II:
Part of the disassembly is shown here:
Tutorial: Repair E-Dials Pentax K7 / K5 / K5II / K3 and possibly others - PentaxForums.com
and very well here as well:
K-5 Full spectrum conversion (IR filter removal) - PentaxForums.com

What you need to take care of is that tiny little switch for the SD-carddoor!
When you take out the parts covering the LCD itself (which is protected by glass) you will see it.
It is springloaded and if this spring accidently is out of its position, it is a bit difficult getting it in back into position.

What do you mean with this?

Either a or b is normal with age.
thank you for the response.

regarding your question on what I meant, is that I like my camera so much that wouldn't like to blame on the quality, although it still might be. I have only 4k shoots, it is nothing for Pentax.

if you mean that despite a shooting number, display contacts may degrade due to age, then this is probably my case. I bought it around 10 years ago, but was shooting in parties and holidays only.
01-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Understood!
I like the K5 very much, use one with Katzeye Focusing Screen (alternating with a superbright Canon screen for f 1.2 and 1.4 manual lenses)
my other one is a K5IIs.
I like that sensor very much.

So hopefully you can sort it out, it is worth it with that low shuttercount and not using it can make contacts produce problems.
01-10-2022, 02:32 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Understood!
I like the K5 very much, use one with Katzeye Focusing Screen (alternating with a superbright Canon screen for f 1.2 and 1.4 manual lenses)
my other one is a K5IIs.
I like that sensor very much.

So hopefully you can sort it out, it is worth it with that low shuttercount and not using it can make contacts produce problems.
I apologize, that didn't write my camera model fully.
mine one is K5IIs. the best one.
thank you